Bucket to Beast- hopefully

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all. I became the proud, third+ owner of a 95 Cheyenne 5.7 4x4. It had a rough life but considering it's a Pennsylvania truck and had evidence of being a snow plow at one point, the frame wasn't rotted out and in decent shape all around. Typical rust, which I'm sure I'll be chasing throughout the life of this truck, is in the process of being mitigated. Cab corners fell out a while ago and the rockers are hiding bad things behind old uncared for, but still green, paint. I did a tune up and discovered broken spark plugs, caked in air filter and a nest built inside the airbox cavity. The body, while mostly rust "free" had a lot of asphalt sealer blobbed and splattered on it. The previous owner had a driveway sealing business. All the panels though, with the exception of one fender, were good. Paint, however, was heavily oxidized where it wasn't covered by asphalt sealer. The bed also looked like it hadn't been hosed out since 1998. I did manage to free the drain holes after brushing and scraping away at the layers that had built up over the years revealing deep rust. The interior was the worst. The typical torn bench upholstery with exposed yellow foam wasn't as bad as the asphalt sealer that had made its way inside as well. The door cards, floor and dash are covered in black hand prints and smudges all over. Hopefully some duplicolor vinyl paint will bring the rest of the grey plastic to a nice black luster. The motor runs good now except for intermittent stalls when I haul her down to a stop. Rockauto sent some parts to hopefully fix that. Front axle engages on demand. Trans shifts are positive despite a small leak. The exhaust was fine the day I drove it home but deteriorated completely over the course of the following 2 weeks. So far I've invested in an array of parts and coatings that I hope to be able to "restore" this truck back to a reliable and presentable state with. I've also sourced h3 wheels, 6 inch KC's and some diamond plate tool boxes to upgrade and accessorize a bit. I hope you guys will help me whip this bucket back to beast status. Thx for some useful info so far.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks alot better than most of the rclbs around here. Im interested to see what it looks like with the h3 wheels

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've actually done quite a bit of work since these pics. Tried lots of chemicals but the only thing that really worked well was a decal eraser on a DA. Trying to get it off the inside of the bed tho, where it's globbed on heavy, is prob not gonna come off without a chisel. I'll post some pics after the wheels go on. Painting them black.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yea that **** is nasty. My old colorado was a former highway truck and had some on it. I never did find a good way to get it off but it wasnt near as bad as your truck.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, other than the cab corners that thing looks cleaner than i expected lol
I picked up a used bumper and hit it with Bed liner too. The old bumper was sawed in half to make the wrong hitch receiver accessible. Hack job. Also installed some Amazon tail lights

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered my cab corners from classic industries but they were stamped wrong. They let me keep them after they refunded the money. Gonna section them and make them work. Thoughts?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Ordered my cab corners from classic industries but they were stamped wrong. They let me keep them after they refunded the money. Gonna section them and make them work. Thoughts?

I guess if your handy at body work itd work just fine lol. If not id try raybuck or somewhere else. I cant belive its that far off lol