Broken shift selector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soooo, I got into my truck after work today, try to bring the park down and a piece hits the floor and I have total play in my lever. I tried to take it apart but I didn’t have a torx with me so I just got a ride with a friend. I’m going back tomorrow but I wanna see if anybody else knows anything before I go back. Idk how to add pics on here but the piece that dropped is a ring with a small, white, greased ball on top. There was also a sleeve that looked like it would fit back into a cigarette lighter on the floor but idk if that’s from the column or not. Anyways, any input would be helpful, thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming from your handle and the description you're working on a 98 (or at least a 95-up) with the newer style column. Could be the plastic piece simply got brittle and broke, or that shifter mechanism attached to the column housing can break; it's cast aluminum and won't put up with a lot of abuse. What happens sometimes is the brake-to-shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid goes bad and you can't get it out of park, so people start reefing on it and the mechanism breaks.

You can get one off another column...if you can find somewhere that will let you remove it without buying the whole column. Pretty easy to replace once you get the column clamshell plastics off; don't overlook the recessed torx screw up in the bottom one. Carefully pry the bezel off the ignition switch.

Here it is in place:
You must be registered for see images attach

The piece by itself

Richard

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming from your handle and the description you're working on a 98 (or at least a 95-up) with the newer style column. Could be the plastic piece simply got brittle and broke, or that shifter mechanism attached to the column housing can break; it's cast aluminum and won't put up with a lot of abuse. What happens sometimes is the brake-to-shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid goes bad and you can't get it out of park, so people start reefing on it and the mechanism breaks.

You can get one off another column...if you can find somewhere that will let you remove it without buying the whole column. Pretty easy to replace once you get the column clamshell plastics off; don't overlook the recessed torx screw up in the bottom one. Carefully pry the bezel off the ignition switch.

Here it is in place:

The piece by itself

Richard

Found out how to add pictures :). And i don’t see that piece included here but it could be where I can’t see. I guess what ima do is go to the junkyard and find out where it’s from on another truck.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The piece by itself

[/QUOTE]

I believe your piece is at the end of the shift lever fitting with the nylon ball in the slot of the bellcrank where the shift cable snaps on.