Broken motor mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys so I have a 95 k1500 wit the 5.7 tbi. Recently it's been makin clunking noises so I got my mechanic friend to check it out he verified it's the driver motor mount and quoted me $130 labor which isn't bad imo. I ordered the part off rock auto for $12 shipping and handling. I usually fix everything on my truck myself but never something like this. After talking to my dad he thinks we can do it. I crawled under and looked and the passenger side looks easy to do but my driver side is the broken one and after looking under the truck I can barely see it. My question is how hard is it to DIY? Should I try to fix it myself or just take it to the shop?

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure how much different the job is on a K model, but FWIW I changed the mounts on my '95 C2500 last year. It was pretty unpleasant, but well worth the effort considering how badly worn the old mounts were.

The trickiest parts for me were lining up the mount holes and trying not to lose the nuts while reaching through the tiny access holes in the frame. (I did end up losing a couple though, and had to run to the hardware store in order to finish the job.)

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
No way I'd put the $12 engine mount in it. All of the aftermarket mounts suck and will fail in short order. The job is a PITA and I went with stupidly expensive (in comparison) GM mounts on mine so I didn't have to change them again. Take a minute and look at the mount you bought against the factory mounts and you'll see why they fail. I hate poly mounts but I'd go with those over the cheap aftermarket stuff.

I'm not trying to be an ass, just save you the hassle the second time. We no longer use the aftermarket mounts at work due to the failure rate.

bsn1989

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto to what Knuckle Dragger said.

If you dont mind a bit more shake(YMMV), then poly mounts are a good idea.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I have no idea how clamshell mounts can "clunk". The rubber cushion is trapped inside a steel shell. It can't go anywhere.

2. The OEM rubber mounts on my 1988 K1500 were worn, I tried to replace them with the Polyurethane inserts. The inserts were cataloged to fit my vehicle. There's no way I could get them to fit.
You must be registered for see images

So I bought a pair of replacement mounts from a chain auto-parts store. The steel of the shell is so thin (about half the thickness of the GM original) I refused to install them. I tried two brands, they looked like they were made in the same Communist factory but put into different boxes.

I wound up reinstalling my crappy original 300,000-mile mounts.

NOTE: All three photos show up when I edit this post--but only one is visible when I "save changes". I don't know what is wrong.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(I can see all 3 pics from here.)

The rubber can degrade and fall out in small chunks. It's not completely trapped in there. Mine were so bad that the lower portion of rubber was all but gone, and without that support, the weight had torn the upper rubber away from the mount. I guess you could say that it was indeed "clunk"ing, but what was more noticeable on mine was a loud SQUEAK every time the engine shifted around. The old engine mounts had brightly polished spots where the mount brackets were rubbing against the clamshells.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y'all I fixed it. After a long night a whole bunch of cussin and grease Problem solved no more loud clunking. I will never again change one my self definitely gonna pay someone next time. And the rubber inside deteriorated and was completely loose. This is off topic sorta but my truck makes a clunk downshifting out of overdrive I thought this would fix it sorta helped but it's still there. Any suggestions on what it is?