Brakes got worse after brake job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It must be different on 10 bolts then. All the brakes I did (80's k30 and the rest are Ford ambulances) the star adjusters were on the bottom. But either way the process is the same.

Let us know if the readjustment(s) fix your problem

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just another common issue is the soft rubber lines that go to the front calipers and to the rear axle. They can get dry from age and expand when they get pressure in them (stepping on the brakes.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But they werent tugged or abused during the caliber or disk change? Could they still have been damaged enought to cause a difference? The pedal grabs about 1/2 in lower then it use to (takes more reach to get the same amount of braking- feels like your reaching for your brakes instead of just applying them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question, did you brake clean the new rotors before you installed them? The shipping oil that comes on them will fill the brake pads and give terrible braking performance. It will act as a lubricant and it will take more brake pedal effort to achieve the same amount of braking as before.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes i cleaned the brakes- even used some stop squeal on the back of the front pads. They
Pedal seems to be getting slightly better with adjusting the rear drums and just driving it more, but i cant tell if im getting use to it or its actually improvong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
New shoes are made for the curvature of the OE drum size, once the drums are cut oversize, then the shoe must wear to the size of the drum. It could be a combination of this and possibly a small amount of air in the system. If the brakes do not get better after driving for a while and a couple of re-adjustments I would adjust the rears up and then bleed the system again.

Did you install new calipers? Do they slide properly on the pins if you did not change them out?