Brake drums for 92 C2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahansel1229

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the right brake parts for my rear-end. It's a 92 C2500 with a 7.4
Every website I look on has drums that do not have the lugnuts in them or have a place for the seal and bearings what am I missing does it have a different rear-end then stock mabey?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MY 2500 with 7.4L uses the 10.5" full-float axle with 13" drums. The drums are "riveted" to the hub with the lug studs. The drums do not slide off the hubs until you press-out the lug studs. I think this indicates 2.5" wide shoes.

It may be that the larger, 3.5" wide shoes have slide-off drums.

Kinda guessing you have the "riveted" drums, so you'll likely need new lug-studs to reattach to the hubs/bearings you already have.

Good luck. My truck has rotors that attach to the front hubs the same way. I broke the old rotor trying to press the lug-studs out. Had no fun pressing the new ones back in, and I was using a 20-ton press.

DOWNLOAD THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR YOUR VEHICLE from the links on this web-site.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hub slide right off when I take the center nut and axle out.
You must be registered for see images attach
The issue is getting the drum off of the hub, not getting the hub off of the axle assembly. New drums don't come with hubs. I suppose you could buy a drum, a hub w/bearings, and the lug studs...but why replace the hub 'n' bearings if there's nothing wrong with them?

WHY are you replacing the drums? Have you measured them, and discovered they're worn-out? Warped? Cracked? There's a really-good chance that there's nothing wrong with them once cleaned-up. Obviously, you're gonna need new grease seals.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you destroy that seal , record the numbers. What is your objective here? Brake job? Brake problem? The plan or objective drives the answer you need.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you catch it right away, brake fluid or gear oil wants to soak into the brake linings.
Personally, if I didn't see it happen right in front me, I consider them no longer serviceable , must be replaced.

ahansel1229

Reaction score
Okay thanks it's the 13 x 2.57 size shoes I hope (that's the largest size I can find local for my truck) The haynes manual doesn't have the axle size I got.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a hub where you remove a bunch of bolts, and the axle shaft slides out? That's a full-floating axle, which on a GMT400 that isn't something really goofy like a C3500HD or a chassis-cab, would have to be a 10.5" ring gear, "14 bolt Full-float" axle.

Brake shoes could be 13 X 2.5, or 13 X 3.5 depending on options and/or GVWR.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The haynes manual doesn't have the axle size I got.
Haynes, Chilton, Clymer...great emergency toilet paper.