Bracket change...98 onto 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever done this. I need to replace the steering pump on my 95 soon, and the ac compressor is also on it's last legs...

I can get a real good deal on both accessory brackets and alt, ps, ac comp, the whole shebang for 125 bucks off a friend.

I am pretty sure the brackets will bolt to the engine with no issues...and may have to lengthen some wires, but I guess the big question is will the AC compressor work in place of the R4 it has now? I know the new ones are more efficient than the old ones.

Just looking for thoughts and to see if anyone has done this.

Shawn

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't the a/c and alt on different sides on 96+?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres the engine bay off a 99 OBS Tahoe, the a/c and alt are on opposite sides, would be easier to just fix your problems using new parts that fit a 95 then going through all the trouble to make this work thats my opinion

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has been a long time since I played with the A/C systems but I belive that was right about the time that R12 was phased out and 134A was brought in. IF I recall correctly the R12 systems used SAR threads on all of the fittings and 134A systems used metric threads. I could very well be wrong though.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been a long time since I played with the A/C systems but I belive that was right about the time that R12 was phased out and 134A was brought in. IF I recall correctly the R12 systems used SAR threads on all of the fittings and 134A systems used metric threads. I could very well be wrong though.

R12 was phased out in 92 or 93. 95 is 134a. It should work fine bit you will need to use the vortec model compressor with the vortec model lines

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
R12 was phased out in 92 or 93. 95 is 134a. It should work fine bit you will need to use the vortec model compressor with the vortec model lines

:word: Should be a simple swap. Get A/C lines for a '96-'98, they're actually pretty cheap and should match right up with your dryer. Good time to replace the orifice tube (if you live in a hot area, I recommend the $20 to get the variable one). Upgrade alternator too, as the 124 and 140 amp alternators use the same plug and wire position as your 95 alternator. We're doing this on a friends '95, as soon as he quits procrastinating...