serpentine belt brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srpember

Reaction score
What's up guys. I am redoing my 89 c1500 with a 5.7. I removed the "Horeshoe" accessory bracket off of my truck. I am looking to replace it with the aluminum brackets off of the newer body style. I did not realize their were more than one. Has anyone here done this ? I am trying to figure out what the p/ns are that i need to get. Thanks ,any help would be appreciated

srpember

Reaction score
The biggest problem is my upgraded alternator to secure the rod to . The factory metal bracket does not have alot of support with out the rods. I though the aluminum brackets would offer more support.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why the Engineers added the support rods , the larger mass needed more supports. Your looking at the problem the wrong way.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be more-likely to fabricate a new rod that fits the upgraded alternator, and with the length and bends and ends to attach to the manifold, rather than replacing the horseshoe.

But I've got essentially the same issue with my A/C compressor (aftermarket manifold with no boss to screw the strut rod to) and I haven't fabricated a new rod for that...yet. It's only been about five years, I'll get to it someday.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the upgraded alternator a factory style alternator with standard mounting holes? Than can be clocked to fit OEM brackets? The TBI Suburbans sometimes had the 120-140 amp altermators with a specific bracket for those larger capacity alternators.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you just want part numbers look it up in , everybody together" GMPartsGiant.com " . Enter your VIN or do manual input search.

srpember

Reaction score
If you just want part numbers look it up in , everybody together" GMPartsGiant.com " . Enter your VIN or do manual input
Why replace the horseshoe bracket? It works, it holds the OEM accessories in the correct location for belt alignment.

What are you trying to gain?
I wouldn't if I was keeping factory stuff. My new alternator needs more support is why I was wanting to upgrade. The new alternator does not have a spot on the alternator itself for the extra support that the factory one has.

srpember

Reaction score
Is the upgraded alternator a factory style alternator with standard mounting holes? Than can be clocked to fit OEM brackets? The TBI Suburbans sometimes had the 120-140 amp altermators with a specific bracket for those larger capacity alternators.
I got a set of brackets from a 94 Surburban that worked perfect for me.