Boost Auto Parts Towing Mirror wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isoxy1911

Reaction score
Hey all,

I did all the primary installation of the Boost Auto Parts 2015+ style towing mirrors on my 98/ GMC k1500 and one thing their video did not cover (at least very well) was the wiring of the reverse lights. In their youtube video which I will link below they do the full installation then when they go to talk about the reverse lights they just cut to the outside of the truck and show you were the loom is and what wire to tap to. The thing I find interesting about this is the whole video is quite detailed to the point a monkey could probably do this installation, but then the reverse lights are oddly vague. Has anyone here with a 1995-1998 bought and installed these mirrors? I am genuinely confused as to how to they expect us to run these through the firewall (that is if that's where they expect it ran?) because it really isn't talked about at all and I imagine if there was a spot accessible in the cab it would be mentioned. I imagine anyone with a 95'-98' 1500-3500 would have the same cab layout, so if anyone has any input regarding this it would be greatly appreciated. I have even called and asked about more specific instructions and they have no clue but said to try and find a grommet in the cab. That is great and all, but I don't recall seeing one when I had the dashboard ripped apart and I would really prefer not to punch a hole in firewall if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help all, it is greatly appreciated.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those lights arent bright enough to be considered reverse, and everyone wires them to something different.

Ive hd them tied into my door open circuit, now there tied into a rear light circuit for my bed.

U can tie into the white reverse wire under your steering column if u want it for that

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man, thanks so much for the reply!! Does the cargo light only work when Parked? And if so wouldn’t it make an issue for having them on when backing up (as in just jot turning on since the vehicle would be in something other than park)?
No, it's constant power. If you want them on to back up, just switch your cargo light on. I did it that way because I wanted to switch them on when needed, and I didn't want them on every time I put it in reverse.

Isoxy1911

Reaction score
No, it's constant power. If you want them on to back up, just switch your cargo light on. I did it that way because I wanted to switch them on when needed, and I didn't want them on every time I put it in reverse
Which wire is the actual switch wire? I can’t seem to find a reliable diagram. From what I’ve been looking up it looks like it would be the white/blue wire (which would be in the bottom left when looking at it straight on).