Blown 4L60E?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a couple questions, as it appears its time to remove my 4L60E and have it rebuilt..

Last night, it was about -31C outside, I shifted it into drive, didn't wait long enough for the shift to finish, and hit the gas...

BANG. No more forward movement in D... 1, 2 or 3 have not functioned for a number of months now.

Truck still drives in reverse...

I'm wondering just how big of a mess I made in there? What exactly did I wreck?

Does it require a total overhaul? If so, what company should I go with to replace the parts so that it can withstand extra power? Monster Transmissions?

Not super experienced in the transmission world and any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As someone who just went through this I'd strongly recommend finding a local trans builder with a good reputation rather than just buying a kit. I picked out a couple components with help from a user on here, mainly to achieve the hard shifts I was looking for and eliminate the safety upshift in manual 1-2-3. Beast sunshell, Superior/Fairbanks billet servos, and TransGo HD2 shift kit. From there I just told the builder that I was going to drive it hard and let him have at it. He recommended some heavy duty frictions and a heavy duty band and I listened to him. I'm only a couple weeks in with the rebuilt trans, but it's amazing and I wouldn't do anything different next time. This combination shifts HARD all the time, though.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looooove some hard shifts, so I'm okay with that.

So you wouldn't recommend the Monster kits then? The idea was to buy the kit and hand it to an installer.

I just don't know how a guy is gonna know if that transmission is gonna last for 150,000+ km's with 300-400HP going through it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looooove some hard shifts, so I'm okay with that.

So you wouldn't recommend the Monster kits then? The idea was to buy the kit and hand it to an installer.

I just don't know how a guy is gonna know if that transmission is gonna last for 150,000+ km's with 300-400HP going through it.

Can't say anything about the Monster kits personally as I've never used them. I've read both good and bad things about them over the years. IMO if you're not doing the rebuild yourself then the builder you use is just as important as the parts you choose, if not more so. The guys who have been in the business for a while definitely know what works and what doesn't. That's why I didn't bother with a full rebuild parts kit, I figured there would probably be something in there that my builder wouldn't want to use for whatever reason. Just ask around and do some research, there's bound to be someone in your area who does good performance rebuilds.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you think 300-400 hp is gojng through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know there is a good local transmission shop. Guys been in it for over 30 years.

I'm planning on putting a rebuilt 355 or 383 in the truck later on. I want the transmission to be built to take it if I'm upgrading it anyway.