blocks or shackle flip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to re-lift the back of my truck, it sits level with the front cranked high enough to clear 305's on stock wheels. Anyone experiance with doing a shackle flip? I know about blocks, just looking for some pros & cons about the shackle flip.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well are you flipping your springs ontop of your axle? assuming your axle sat above your springs to begin with flipping it would give you more axle wrap and blocks will make that even worse. i dont know what your doing this to because i dont know of any GMT400s with the axle ontop of the springs, but if it were me i would just get lift springs for your application and not flip the axle, and if you decide to go and flip it with blocks id higly suggest you do it the right way and make up for some of it with traction bars ( i belive thats what they are called ) but honestly its going to take the same amount of money either way id just do it the right way the first time...

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, not flip the axle like when you lower a truck, just the shackle to gain lift, like this...
You must be registered for see images

The only one I can find looks to be a 4" lift witch will be too much.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i re read what you typed and figured i was thinking wrong. well IMO thats a cheap way to get a little lift but i wouldnt go to crazy with it because it will move your axle forward more and mess up your drive line angle, but thats like an extreme amout. i can always tell when its been done to a truck but idk how it sticks out to most people.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm just going to keep it simple and do a block kit. I don't need the extra load capacity with the add-a-leaf so why put up with the firmer ride.

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
shackle flips are very nice and effective. They improve flex and in some cases improve the ride. As for driveline angles a shackle flip will not effect the driveline any worse than a 4 in block. Its just advised that you also put in a zero rate to compensate for how much the axle axle is pushed forwards

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, Tattooed I'll get back to you.
Smith, that's what I was wondering, thanks.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
shackle flip > any other method of lifting the rear....

dunno if you need 4-5" of lift in your application though. when i had a 6" ifs lift i did a shackle flip moved forward 1", zero rate and a 2" block in tall side forward and it was perfect

IMO a 2" block is all you need. and that may even be to much

Last edited: