Blazer windshield washer help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lattimer

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New here, but need some help.

I have a 1994 full size Blazer. 200k on it, just picked it up and I'm rehabbing it back into shape to be a nice daily driver. Having trouble getting the front windshield washers to operate.

I assumed the pump was bad and just replaced both for GP, even though the rear did work. Rear works fine, nothing on the front. No power to the pump. When I turn the switch on the turn signal stalk the wipers run, but no washers.

Did some searches and read about the pulse board issues, and according the wiring diagram the washer is fed from there, so I replaced that. Same thing, hit the switch, wipers run, no power to the washer pump.

Wiring seems good, everything else electrical works correctly on the truck. Wipers work correctly in all settings. Fuses are all good. The only thing I can think of is the switch on the stalk, but according the wiring diagram that talks to the wiper module which sends to the washer pump. So if the wipers run when I hit the washer switch that should mean the switch is good, correct? Is there a relay or something I don't see?

Anybody have any guidance to offer? This truck is newer than what I usually work on (other project is a 1970 C-10), so I'm a little stumped here.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Lattimer

Reaction score
I guess no reply means nobody had any ideas....LOL. Anyways, I chased my tail a lot on this little gremlin. Replaced the wiper/washer switch in the column this weekend. No washer still. Hmmmm.

Finally got the bright idea to start checking with a test light and had my daughter work the switch. Didn't do it before because I lacked a helper. Time to put the 8 year old to work.

Found I actually had power to pump wiring, but still the pump wouldn't run. Bought a new pump (again) and that one works. Took a better look at the old pump and found the hot side pin was bent and wasn't contacting the fitting on the wire plug.

Thinking back on it, I only checked to see if the pump ran and I also never checked the original pump, I tossed it when I put the new pump in. So now I have no idea if it was the pulse board, the pump, the switch, or all 3! Should have had the test light out first!

I also found that the circuit takes a second to engage, so the wiper switch had to be held on for a second before I would see power at the pigtail. That had me scratching my head for a minute too.

Anyways, all new parts now and it works like it should. And I have an extra pump.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great to know never knew there was a delay before the washer circuit is energized. Now I might go tackle my weak washer issue. Lol

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Your daughter deserves an ice cream bar for helping you find and fix your problem.When my youngest daughter was little she would help me and would be under the truck with me just to be with daddy,cherish those days.She's 43 now and still daddy's girl :)

Lattimer

Reaction score
Your daughter deserves an ice cream bar for helping you find and fix your problem.When my youngest daughter was little she would help me and would be under the truck with me just to be with daddy,cherish those days.She's 43 now and still daddy's girl :)
My daughter is 8 and my son is 4. I keep trying to get them in the garage and outside to keep them off the iPad and whatnot!

Lattimer

Reaction score
That's great to know never knew there was a delay before the washer circuit is energized. Now I might go tackle my weak washer issue. Lol

Yeah, I figured I'd post what I found so maybe when someone else searches they can learn from my trials!

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just saw your post, glad that you figured it out & that you put the little one to work, even if only for a few minutes.

I have a similar issue that hopefully I'll get around to looking @ this spring (brakes are more important, maybe). seriously though, they were gonna fail my truck last fall because the washers didn't squirt, I told him that it was out of fluid & that I hadn't used them in probably 4yrs. He just looked @ me, I told him to look @ the mileage, the truck had only 353mi since the last inspection. I said, lately, the truck has only been used to make compost yard/lowes/home depot & junk yard runs. none of it is ever in the rain, so no need for wipers. he said ok & passed it. my truck only has to pass safety. 10/1/17 Mass had a new law go into effect regarding inspections, all inspections are now video recording for the RMV to review. so all of those: windows were tinted or heights adjusted after the inspection are invalid, as the RMV will see it in the video. which means that they would see my washers not work.

Lattimer

Reaction score
NJ got rid of safety inspection years ago and now only does emissions. Few years back they ruled that 1995 and older model years don't need emissions inspection either. One of the reasons I was picky about what year I chose. Saw tons of 1996's out there but had to be 95 or older for me to be interested.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for writing up what you finally found. I didn't see your original post but in many cases a continuity tester will tell you much in similar situations. Also a hot wire directly from battery plus can be used to bring reliable power to any point, bypassing switches and relays to determine if the bulb will light or the motor will turn.

Sounds like your 8 year old was a very helpful assistant and will become even more so as she gets older. I'll bet by the time she can drive she will know how to change a tire !