Bigger A/T Tires on Stock Suspension? 96 k2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to fit a 285/75R16 (33") on a stock wheel with slight crank or trimming and 265/75R16 will fit perfectly stock, infact came stock on some trucks. For the 285's 4.10's would be a good gear to run. Anything less and I would bother with the change.

Krokadyel

Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I have a really good family owned tire place nearby that does a lot of work with lifted trucks etc.. I think I'll go by there tomorrow and tell them to stick the biggest BFG a/t they can on there.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
before i put my body lift on i ran 285s on my stock wheels with just a torsion bar crank to level it with no problems other than 285s are a bit wide for stock wheels so they have a decent crown to them.

Krokadyel

Reaction score
The tire shop ordered me 285 BFG's, they seem to think they will fit. I'll mention a crank on the front when i go up to get them put on tomorrow.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any pics yet?

I know a couple of local guys who have put 285s on stock wheels on 8lug trucks with no other changes. One guy told me he has 3 different brands of 285s and only one rubbed the flares at the rear of the front fender. He has a plow on his 7.4L Vortec truck, so he runs smaller tires (245s) in the winter due to the lower front height.

With the 6 lug trucks I understand the 285s rub the air dam, hence the need for cranking the torsion bars?

Krokadyel

Reaction score
The shop told me they should have them in tomorrow, once i get them on I'll post back with some pics and what i needed to adjust (if anything) to put them on.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
With the 6 lug trucks I understand the 285s rub the air dam, hence the need for cranking the torsion bars?

Yep, exactly, and mine still bumps it every once in a while, while braking, in reverse, and turning... LOL.

I could crank more to avoid it, but I just don't see the point. This also probably wouldnt' be an issue if the tires didn't have pretty substantial lugs on the shoulders.