Big 3 and battery cable fusible link question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alaskaburb

Reaction score
I have been looking and can't find my answer. 1993 Suburban
I have installed a second battery tray and will be installing the Big 3 upgrade with the second battery initially connected + to + on the batteries and dual grounds to the intake manifold. I will add a 1/0 or larger directly from my currently stock alternator to one of the batteries.

During the planning I noticed my current battery to starter cable need to be replaced as it looks a little worn. So what size should that cable be if I am in the upgrading stage? Second question and possibly the most important. Where does the fusible link connected to the battery go? There is a fusible link that is connected to the battery following the positive cable and I can't see where it goes. I have looked from the top as well as kinda crawled under. I would like to know what I need and what to expect when I tear into it.

Thanks!!

Alaskaburb

Reaction score
I got the new battery to starter cable run today. Here is what I found out. The cable from the battery to the starter is 2 gauge as specified by GM. This is not part of the big 3. It supplies power to the starter.

So as to the second wire connected to the battery with the fusible link. It is the power supply for the distribution block on the passenger side of the firewall. My only guess is manufacturing was made cheaper that way. The wire ran along with the 2 gauge to the starter then separated off and ran up behind the engine to the distribution block. I chose to simplify and hopefully improve by shortening the wire and making a more direct route to the firewall distribution block. My thinking was the farther away from hot exhaust the better. I have no doubt the engineers calculated all of that in but now I can see all of the wire easily and it is well secured.