Grounding/Instrument Panel Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Blue

Reaction score
97 GMC with instrument panel issues. I ran some beefy grounds thinking that was the issue.(after reading here on Big 3)
No tach or speedo movement. Lights all seem to work fine. Battery reading goes to 19volts, temp goes to 210. Fuel has been weird as well. They don't move after driving it. Drives fine. No transmission shifting issues.
Fuses are all good.
Am I missing something simple? Usually it's that, I work for a full day on something and it was just a simple fix.

97Blue

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've read a lot of Big 3 posts here and didn't see that one. Thanks for the link. I'll dig into some more ground locations. I'll look into the alternator and regulator as well. Thanks.

97Blue

Reaction score
Battery is 14v and a little higher. Never lower.

I was digging around and couldn't find the ones I wanted to check first so I looked behind the fuel door and found that one completely hanging in mid air. I cleaned it up and fixed it but it didn't change anything. Looks like I am not going to get lucky on this!
Going to pull the IP out again and look for G200-G202.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 GMC with instrument panel issues. I ran some beefy grounds thinking that was the issue.(after reading here on Big 3)
No tach or speedo movement. Lights all seem to work fine. Battery reading goes to 19volts, temp goes to 210. Fuel has been weird as well. They don't move after driving it. Drives fine. No transmission shifting issues.
Fuses are all good.
Am I missing something simple? Usually it's that, I work for a full day on something and it was just a simple fix.
Do you know for sure that the stepper motors are working? My wife has an '02 Envoy and her gauges don't work when it's cold. Obviously it's not cold now, but maybe yours just totally gave out?

97Blue

Reaction score
I can't rule anything out at this point. It would be nice to swap another IP in just to check. Odometer issues aside.
So basically, every gauge in the IP is not working but they move on startup. Indicator lamps work fine. Tach and speedo never move.
I put the ODBII meter on it and it had no codes. Runs fine. Shifts fine so I have never considered the VSS but I'm curious if that would fix the speedo/tach.

97Blue

Reaction score
Following up on my IP saga. Found a 200k cluster in a yard and swapped it in.

Old Cluster - Nothing works that I could tell

New Cluster
RMP - Looks good
Speedo, no movement stuck at 100
Fuel - Looks like it works
Battery - A tick under 14, same as battery on a meter.
Oil - at 60
Temp - Very slowly climbing up in temperature.

Truck still runs and shifts ok. I'm thinking VSS is good. Can I swap the speedo gauge on these IP's?
Also assuming I need to swap over the odometer and trip.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following up on my IP saga. Found a 200k cluster in a yard and swapped it in.

Truck still runs and shifts ok. I'm thinking VSS is good. Can I swap the speedo gauge on these IP's?
Also assuming I need to swap over the odometer and trip.

Greetings 97Blue,

The short answer is that yes the gauges on your '97 instrument panel
can be swapped out. "DrShock" on YouTube demonstrates his method:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's pretty straightforward, but as you are already no doubt aware, the
assemblies are kinda brittle/fragile. Gentle persuasion is the secret to
success!

Good luck! And let us know the results for future reference...

97Blue

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I’ve watched that video a few times and it helped me do the swap. Here is what I did:

I swapped the logic board assembly of the two panels and it didn’t help me any. Swapped it back.
Pulled my odometer and out in the new IP. Everything works except Speedo.
Swapped my speedometer gauge to the new IP and it doesn’t work.
Could be I simply have 2 bad gauges I guess. Where do I look for a new one?

Somewhere in there I tried a new VSS and it didn’t help the situation either.