Best Replacement Speakers for Bose System? 1999/2000 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got 2 bad speakers in my 2000 Z71 Tahoe (GMT400). The driver's rear on the left, and the rear roof speaker on the left. I was thinking about going to the junkyard and grabbing a couple out of a 99 Denali that they have there, but I might be wasting time, gas, and frustration if they aren't any good. Might be better to just buy new. I will be using the stock deck, I do not want to change the deck, as I love the stock look.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any cheap aftermarket speaker would likely be an improvement. Crutchfield used to provide wiring harness kits with speakers so that you wouldn't have to splice factory wires. Not sure if they still do that, but you can check their website and see what is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any cheap aftermarket speaker would likely be an improvement.

Negative. Not unless you replace all of them. The Bose systems use a different type of signal to the speakers than standard aftermarket units, or standard factory systems. If you only replace two speakers in the Bose system with aftermarket ones you likely won't even hear them make any noise. If you want to go aftermarket you either replace all speakers AND the deck, or all speakers and get an adapter to make them work with the factory head unit. If that's more than you want to do then replacing the blown speakers with good Bose units is about your only option.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, no kidding. I always thought the "Bose" thing was just a nameplate. Thanks for clearing that up.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Negative. Not unless you replace all of them. The Bose systems use a different type of signal to the speakers than standard aftermarket units, or standard factory systems. If you only replace two speakers in the Bose system with aftermarket ones you likely won't even hear them make any noise. If you want to go aftermarket you either replace all speakers AND the deck, or all speakers and get an adapter to make them work with the factory head unit. If that's more than you want to do then replacing the blown speakers with good Bose units is about your only option.

I'm willing to replace all 6 speakers. I absolutely must keep the stock deck. Anyone have a list of all the speakers they used with the stock deck?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything should work as long as you have the proper levels going to each speaker. You'll probably need something like this in-line with all the speaker outputs on the back of the factory head unit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC...put-Converter.html?search=slc4&avf=N&skipvs=T

Note that I may be over-complicating the hell out of this, I always just rip out everything Bose the first chance I get. However the last system that I had to interface with a factory Bose setup was on an F-Body Camaro and this is what I ended up doing. (Although that was to use factory speakers with an aftermarket deck, but I assume you can adjust this box the other way for the opposite goal.)

I'd wait for someone with more specific knowledge on GMT400 style Bose systems to chime in before you start ordering parts...

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else have any recommendations?

tooslowtahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same truck and I have been thru several different brands for different reason. I think the biggest thing is to match the ohms of the factory headunit/amp. I would stay away for the cheaper pioneer models. Kenwwod alpine JL audio all my stuff is aftermarket now so I don't remember factory spec's. And I don't think you have a Bose system I could be wrong tho.