Best Muffler in 95 Suburban 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
I've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube with trucks/suvs with 5.7 engine and mufflers and I think the Flowmaster 50 is the best sound for me, but it's hard to tell how it sounds because let's face it, most people making YouTube videos of their truck's exhaust don't use studio grade microphones. Does anybody here have a Flowmaster 50 in their 5.7L GMT400 and what do you think of it? Are there better alternatives out there, either other Flowmaster or other brand?

I want a rumble at idle and a deep sound when giving it gas, but I don't want annoying drone from inside the truck during regular driving. I haven't looked under the truck yet to find the stock exhaust configuration, but I think it's dual in, single out and I'd like to keep the default setup except with the different muffler in order to save money.

Future plans include a 3" body lift but since it's California it'll remain stock under the hood for the most part. I don't have the Suburban yet actually will get it on Friday. Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Last edited:

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with mufflers on a GMT400 but through my resreach I'm giong to pick the Flowmaster 50.

I would rather error on the quite (no drone) side then the louder side.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can tell you what not to get if you are worried about drone lol the Super 44, even though it sounds great! I think you're on the right track with a Flowmaster 50.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Magnaflow with the springed exhaust cap
Only makes sound when ur really givin gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mistaake

Reaction score
Magnaflow with the springed exhaust cap
Only makes sound when ur really givin gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds interesting. Does it have a really quiet idle or does it have a bit of nice deep rumble at idle? Could you please point me in the right direction as far as applicable part number or a video/demo of the sound?
Thanks!

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Best exhaust is subjective to the point of view of that person.

That said, IMO:

Best sounding, without going to loud = Delta 50s
Best sounding, loud as hell (with headers) = Super 40s
Best Performing = Dynomax Ultra-Flo (Bullets)

Exhaust Setup, Muffler Location and Orientation, and Piping Diameter all play a part in overall drone. Generally speaking, the freer flowing, the more drone.

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Cherrybomb Extreme... deep and mean without pissing off the neighbors too badly. Mine is single pipe in & out

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I vote extreme also, if you don't mind being on the louder side. Only obnoxious loud at idle on a cold start or when hard on it. Otherwise mellow for a single chamber muffler. keeping a cat will help keep it toned down. Mine is cat less with headers on my zr2, and isn't obnoxious at all compared to alternatives.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the 3 different series of Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers?

From loudest to quietest they have the:

50 Series HD
50 Series Delta Flow
Super 50

You must be registered for see images

The 50 Series HD is too close to the aggresive sounding mufflers and the Super 50 is too close to the Stock style mufflers. But I found a video of Super 50 and it sounds really good.

https://youtu.be/ZtS5IP6tjM4?t=82

Last edited: