Best gasket maker for the china wall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm so sick of taking the intake off my truck (TPI, so it already takes 2 hours to take everything apart) for one reason or another, and I have to do it again because of a leak, rear passenger side. I don't care if its $100 a tube.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my intake gaskets and used AC-Delco rtv engine sealer 10-2010 part number 12378521
its light greyish in color
its what the dealer uses...let it setup for a couple of minutes and set your manifold down
no leaks...
lets see what others like/recommend

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've used Permatex Gasket Maker RTV, the black tube, it comes out kinda gray/black. As previous reply mentions let it "skin up" a little while before you set the intake down. This is how I was taught to properly use RTV by a mechanic that I respect a huge amount. Never looked into the "why" because he never gave me bogus advice. Following that advice has not failed me.

Richard

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
The "skinning" over is absolutely essential! I learned it the hard way. You can take this for what it's worth. I've been criticized for doing this but I don't care. It works for me, and I've done dozens of them with no come backs. Around the water jackets a lot of times it gets pitted up on both the intake and heads. I rub a thin layer of rtv around where the gasket seals. Just enough to cover any pits. I do this last thing because as thin as it is it skins over fast. I do this with both the plastic and metal gaskets. Again I've been criticized for doing it, but I'm not gonna stop. It's up to you how you do yours. Just thought I'd share it with you!:cheers: Oh yeah! I use Permatrx Copper RTV. Overkill I know, but cheap insurance. I'm sure black would be just fine as is boast maximum oil resistance. But never had any problems with the copper succumbing to oil.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
DIRECTIONS:
  1. For best results, clean and dry all surfaces with a residue-free solvent, such as Permatex® Brake & Parts Cleaner.
  2. Cut nozzle to desired bead size – gaskets are best formed using a 1/16" to 1/4" bead.
  3. Apply a continuous and even bead of silicone to one surface, surrounding all bolt holes. Remove excess with knife at once. Assemble parts immediately. Do not squeeze out silicone by over tightening bolts. Re-torque will not be necessary.
  4. Silicone dries in 1 hour, and fully cures in 24 hours, at 70˚F - 50% relative humidity. Allow more time in cold weather.
  5. Replace cap after use. Clean hands with dry cloth or Permatex® Fast Orange® Hand Cleaner. Clean tools with non-flammable cleaning fluid.

NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or parts in contact with gasoline.

Last edited:

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the black RTV that felpro includes in the gasket set any good? Thats what I have used in the past and seemed fine, but like i said if there is anything else thats better so I dont have undo all this stuff again, ill pay for it.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the intake off, and the rear passenger bolt's threads were soaked in oil.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the 7.4 I used liquid thread Teflon sealant on all the intake bolts
to keep oil from leaking out on the bottom 4-5 threads.
I let the sealant set up for 30 minutes, torqued according to service manual.make sure your threads in block are super clean and you run a bolt in to make sure there is no binding for exact torquing.
Its what I do, others might do something else.
as you can see original bolts had sealant on them,so I did the same

Last edited:

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, ill use something like that this week. Even though the bolt that was soaked in oil isnt one that goes straight thru and is open to oil. It could have been soaked due to the intake gasket around it failing