Best cam for a 5,7 Vortec rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
This would absolutely be my recommendation! I'll never put any money into a 4L60E/700R4 platform ever again.

I mean if it's not broken don't fix it, but if it does break, don't replace it with something that's going to break again.

Looking back now, I'm wishing I would've had the money to swap to a 4L80E in my old 97 K1500 Suburban when I first bought it.

I noticed there's a few guys on here running built 60Es with no complaints, so maybe it's luck of the draw with them?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed there's a few guys on here running built 60Es with no complaints, so maybe it's luck of the draw with them?

Differences in driving styles would be my best guess. I'm sure there's some luck involved, but admittedly I am not easy on my transmissions. WOT shifts are a common thing for me.

And in all fairness I didn't have any complaints with my built 60E either, until it blew up!

Oldguy

Reaction score
I had a cam choice issue a while back when doing a rebuild of my 355 Vortec. I ran across a guy who did a super job getting me lined up with a cam that has been remarkable. It was his design based on my input of what I wanted out of it and ground by Bullet Cams. he can be reached at [email protected]. Expect to pay more for a custom cam but it was worth it to me.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could consider the cam GM puts in the HT383E. It's available from the GMPP dealers and sources. It will give a little more power and torque and works with the stock computer and emissions. Though it works even better with a tune. Hypertech's tuner works well.
One caveat is that this is a roller cam so there will be some other modifications and parts necessary. Overall this is a nice cam for these trucks as it's emphasis is on low end power where these heavy vehicles need and use it most.
The other option of course it to just do the HT383E engine swap. If you do that though it's a lot more money.
Aside from the cam swap, I would also consider doing the MPFI fuel injection upgrade. Not only is it more reliable than the original CSFI system, but it will improve throttle response, fuel economy, and emissions.

Another option is to put in higher ration rocker arms. You can combine this with any of the options I've discussed or do them by themselves. They will basically add lift (and flow) to your existing cam without adding duration, which is where you get into other issues. This is another upgrade that usually requires other changes, like new valve springs and possibly spring seat modifications. S reputable aftermarket parts supplier or speed shop should be able to advise you on this.

I've done the HT383E swap myself and an extremely happy with it. See my signature.