Best cam for a 5,7 Vortec rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonB

Reaction score
Have 96 K1500 with a 5,7 Vortec. Live Sweden so I have to keep the cats and no headers. What is the best cam for more torque an a little more HP. Have a Summit racing cat back ex system. Don't whant to do change anything with the stock engine managment.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't want to alter the tune in the PCM at all, don't bother with a cam upgrade IMO. If you change cams and don't change the tune accordingly, you're going to be leaving most of your gains on the table.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
If you want a cam that will work with the stock tune, the 395 Cam is your best bang for the buck. It would yield MUCH better power results with some tuning;, hell, tuning in general will wake your truck up, but this cam will run with the stock ECM.
It's the same camshaft used in the Ramjet/HT383E crate engines, and can be bought from Summit or Karl Performance for anywhere from $170-$200.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I've often wanted to do this as well, but everytime I think of putting a cam in it, even when it would be a convenient time to do it because of doing head gaskets or whatever, I remember there's a 4L60E bolted behind it, and I'd rather not have to replace that too early

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I've often wanted to do this as well, but everytime I think of putting a cam in it, even when it would be a convenient time to do it because of doing head gaskets or whatever, I remember there's a 4L60E bolted behind it, and I'd rather not have to replace that too early

Stab a B&M or Transgo shift kit, and maybe a Corvette servo and lay your fears to a mild rest, you could also upgrade your 4L60E to 4L65E standards; which I think is just an upgraded sunshell and a deeper trans pan, maybe one or two other differences; I could be incorrect though, it's been a while since I've researched any 350/4L60E stuff.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stab a B&M or Transgo shift kit, and maybe a Corvette servo and lay your fears to a mild rest, you could also upgrade your 4L60E to 4L65E standards; which I think is just an upgraded sunshell and a deeper trans pan, maybe one or two other differences; I could be incorrect though, it's been a while since I've researched any 350/4L60E stuff.

Or you could do all that and then some, and then still have your stock V6 blow it up regardless. :lol:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or just swap to an 80E right out of the gates?

This would absolutely be my recommendation! I'll never put any money into a 4L60E/700R4 platform ever again.

I mean if it's not broken don't fix it, but if it does break, don't replace it with something that's going to break again.