Bent frame after cnotch!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moe2dippy

Reaction score

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, that was the outline for the cut *******

It was unsupported all the way to the frame was towards the front
That's not really clear what you did there in that explanation. It looks like the frame sagged from un-supported weight as you made the cut and by the time you realized it, it was too late. At first I thought it was a complete cut through the the rail, but it's only partial so what remained of the side of the rail is stretched. Stretched metal can be hard to un-stretch without it wrinkling up. I would cut the rest of the side part of the rail out, fashion a piece for each side that compliments what would have been there for the c notch to go over after measuring, aligning, and fixturing the rails, butt weld those pieces in place, dress, and then weld the c notches in place, dress that, and probably box the insides of the rails out past the c notches a few inches on both sides.

Bnixon

Reaction score
No, that was the outline for the cut *******

It was unsupported all the way to the frame was towards the front
Wow, This is called "edumacation" bro;) You are paying some tuition but we all have at some point or another. Is it fixable yes. Do you have the skills or patience to fix it... I don't know. But you can't make it any worse than it is currently so if it were me I would go for learning how to fix it.

As others have said you already learned that the frame of the truck will need to be supported with jack stands in front of the front leaf spring hangers. Also that you should not install a notch with the leaf springs in both hangers. I would take both leaf springs and the entire rear end out of the truck for this repair, For one, to get them out of your way. And second, it will make it a lot easier to take the appropriate measurements.

You will need long and short levels, tape measure, string and plumb bob, marker, jackstands and something to shim the frame with...get creative.

You will need to start by getting it on as level ground as possible and then using jack stands and shims to level the frame from front to back and side to side. You will only be able to measure this accurately from in front of the notch and under the cab as the rear is nowhere close to lining up. once you have it level you will need to take measurements to see how much the rear will need to be moved and in which directions and how our of square it is. Once you have all of this written down on paper you will need to get creative to determine the sequence you will need to move things and how you are going to move them. Get creative with what you have laying around. The key here is controlled movement rather than fast movements with brute force. Ratchet straps and come-a-longs work well. Then you slowly start bending things back into place and take measurements after every move. Eventually, you will get it to where it should be and can move to reinforcing the frame.

You will need a welder, grinder with cutoff wheel, flap discs, some plate or wide bar stock steel 3/16" - 1/4" thick and the c notch.

You will want to box the frame on both sides of the c notch. You will probably need to bend the existing frame top and or bottom to flatten it back out. I would use a large crescent wrench to do that. Tack it all in place recheck all your measurements (adjust as necessary) and weld-er-up. Should probably add some fish plates in the areas that bent also for extra strength.

This is a great project to learn fame fabrication on as you can't screw it up any more than it already is. If you fail then you just get a new frame from the salvage yard and swap it... which is probably what you would need to do anyway if you choose not to try and fix it.

There are a ton of good youtube channels on frame modification and fabrication. Now go figure it out and have fun in the process. That is why we have a truck hobby, to learn new skills and have fun in the process. Good luck and keep us up to speed with how it goes. You can do this.

LCALDERA98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
still unclear on what lead up to the frame being bent that way...

did yall cut the frame while the leaf spring and rear axle was installed ?

that would be my guess on why it bent

Moe2dippy

Reaction score
Wow, This is called "edumacation" bro;) You are paying some tuition but we all have at some point or another. Is it fixable yes. Do you have the skills or patience to fix it... I don't know. But you can't make it any worse than it is currently so if it were me I would go for learning how to fix it.

As others have said you already learned that the frame of the truck will need to be supported with jack stands in front of the front leaf spring hangers. Also that you should not install a notch with the leaf springs in both hangers. I would take both leaf springs and the entire rear end out of the truck for this repair, For one, to get them out of your way. And second, it will make it a lot easier to take the appropriate measurements.

You will need long and short levels, tape measure, string and plumb bob, marker, jackstands and something to shim the frame with...get creative.

You will need to start by getting it on as level ground as possible and then using jack stands and shims to level the frame from front to back and side to side. You will only be able to measure this accurately from in front of the notch and under the cab as the rear is nowhere close to lining up. once you have it level you will need to take measurements to see how much the rear will need to be moved and in which directions and how our of square it is. Once you have all of this written down on paper you will need to get creative to determine the sequence you will need to move things and how you are going to move them. Get creative with what you have laying around. The key here is controlled movement rather than fast movements with brute force. Ratchet straps and come-a-longs work well. Then you slowly start bending things back into place and take measurements after every move. Eventually, you will get it to where it should be and can move to reinforcing the frame.

You will need a welder, grinder with cutoff wheel, flap discs, some plate or wide bar stock steel 3/16" - 1/4" thick and the c notch.

You will want to box the frame on both sides of the c notch. You will probably need to bend the existing frame top and or bottom to flatten it back out. I would use a large crescent wrench to do that. Tack it all in place recheck all your measurements (adjust as necessary) and weld-er-up. Should probably add some fish plates in the areas that bent also for extra strength.

This is a great project to learn fame fabrication on as you can't screw it up any more than it already is. If you fail then you just get a new frame from the salvage yard and swap it... which is probably what you would need to do anyway if you choose not to try and fix it.

There are a ton of good youtube channels on frame modification and fabrication. Now go figure it out and have fun in the process. That is why we have a truck hobby, to learn new skills and have fun in the process. Good luck and keep us up to speed with how it goes. You can do this.
Thank you so much

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Moe2dippy, please explain your pictures a bit more, as I'm confused.

In one, I see a notched frame that's bent.

You must be registered for see images attach

In the other, there are some sort of "accessory" brackets shown bolted to the frame.

Please explain.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf