Been a little tinker crazy lately.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have 96 chevy C1500 with 5.7 with 237,000 w/ poppets still, I've had same upgrades on it since about 98-99 ish. Air intake, throttle body spacer, did cap and rotor, MSD wires, Flowmaster, and hypertech computer.

Been tinkering with Throttle body and spacer, Bored them both out to 78 mm. Than ported and polished throttle body to hourglass figure to where only blade is sealed when closed. Throttle response is much improved, also completely remove baffle and welded up holes and knife edged 2 edges. Added (also remve half of blade shaft and added 2 button head SS screws to hold blade.)

Also de screened mass air flow sensor with no ill effects.

Asked for performance dist. Dyna mod ignition mod and Screaming demon coil for Christmas.

Want to remove acordian intake tube and replace with alum and a rubber intake elbow. Worndering if throttle body lip is enough to use hose clamp?

Others to do in future

Underdrive pulley and overdrive for alt

Efans LS

Ac Delco 217-3029 inj
Taylor Vmax spacer while i do inj.

Patriot full length headers
Added (New high flow cats, still have orig.)

LT4 Hot cam
Gear drive while do cam
411 computer swap
Re tune

I know list is long, but start with bolt ons and progress little by little.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also forgot to add: Was having CEL reader said can't remember if random or high speed misfire (seam to always happen on freeway, just a little hicup. Runs normal other time). After mods to throttle body and spacer cleaned EGR friday add royal purple octane boost and 91 to tank. Light came on Saturday afternoon on way home. But went off and has not been on again yet.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, no offense here, but if you're trying to make that engine last 500K miles you're going about it the wrong way. The more appropriate choice would be to do the scheduled maintenance, put it back to factory and not touch anything else. Aftermarket intake, TB spacer, MSD wires, boring the throttle body, de-screening the MAF, ignition mods... All this crap is going to do literally nothing for you on a stock Vortec engine, and probably make it run worse to be honest. The factory intake and TB flow plenty unless you're HEAVILY modified internally. Same deal with 91 octane fuel, you do not need it unless compensating for the Hypertech (which is also junk as far as performance gains go).

Literally the only thing I see on your list that I would consider doing to one of my own trucks is real re-tune (I recommend Black Bear Performance). Maybe the 0411 swap but not unless I'd done a ton of other stuff first to create a need for it.

Reaction score
I don't normally run 91 octane, read something about adding race fuel to tank to help clean poppets.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Like said I would seriously reconsider you mods.