beefing up trailer for higher payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You aren’t going to get a “home built” trailer VIN without spending thousand of dollars on that dinky trailer. You stated you are adding a larger axle, brakes, new leaf springs, larger frame, thicker floor etc. Even after all that, you will be at the mercy of what the inspector determines the max weight weight rating to be. Plus the won’t do a “home built” inspection and new VIN on a trailer with an existing VIN. And we know you can’t tamper with a VIN so…..

Look at your 750 pound max tongue weight. You want to carry 3500 pounds of load on a single axle trailer and you won’t be over 750 on the ball?
this is what the owner at the spring/trailer place said to do for people that are worried about being legal on the road.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the difference in people that modify their braking systems, suspension, frames, etc on their vehicle vs modifying a trailer. LOTS of that goes on here and elsewhere. I don't think anyone gets an inspection done afterward unless you're in Europe.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if i am at or under what the vehicle is rated for, how is that not legal? I already admitted 5000# is unrealistic. The trailer is rated for 1874# so if I have to do 2 trips so be it (to carry 3200#). I already stated I am carrying test weights. I have no issue doing smaller loads until a vehicle with higher tow capacity is available. Also, as far as trailer modifications, if it gets inspected and is insurable what is the issue here?
because exceeding the capacity of the trailer is itself illegal and the sticker on the van is implied you have a safe to use trailer, with a sufficient ball size (Whats the ball diameter?) and safety chains and lighting and brakes and the tires are all able to hold that weight, those hubs are able to hold that weight, the bearings are able to turn that weight, and that your legal registration of the trailer is accurate and exceeds your intended load.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the difference in people that modify their braking systems, suspension, frames, etc on their vehicle vs modifying a trailer. LOTS of that goes on here and elsewhere. I don't think anyone gets an inspection done afterward unless you're in Europe.
no one is saying you CANT do it they are saying you SHOULDNT do it because the work involved is far greater, time consuming, possibly expensive (axles arent cheap) all to get a short trailer like that to work,.. and you dont have any brakes setup. is that van got the wiring for a 7 way plug on it ? Does it have a brake controller? Do you have 10 ply tires on the rear(at least just the rear, maybe the front too)

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone seems to think this weight is all going to be at the front? they are carts and can be moved it's not like I am putting 2000# at the very front of the trailer. Again, if i put 1800# in it, it is rated for that. If i have to do 2 trips, so be it. I think I've said this 3x now. I think a lot of people are stuck on the 5000# thing. That is how much weight i have available, not necessarily that I am looking to move it in 1 trip with the current trailer or even a modified one. It would be nice but exceeds the limits on the trailer and tow vehicle. This is why I said if i have todo 2 trips! (EDIT: if it's 5000# then it would be 3) I even said this in my first post, maybe I misspoke when i said pushing the limits as i should have said exceeding. I don't think getting the trailer to a 3000-3500# pay load is unreasonable and if I can get it inspected to make it legal then what is the issue? Maybe I wasn't clear enough that if I can't get it certified then I won't be doing it?

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone seems to think this weight is all going to be at the front? they are carts and can be moved it's not like I am putting 2000# at the very front of the trailer. Again, if i put 1800# in it, it is rated for that. If i have to do 2 trips, so be it. I think I've said this 3x now. I think a lot of people are stuck on the 5000# thing. That is how much weight i have available, not necessarily that I am looking to move it in 1 trip with the current trailer or even a modified one. It would be nice but exceeds the limits on the trailer and tow vehicle. This is why I said if i have todo 2 trips! (EDIT: if it's 5000# then it would be 3) I even said this in my first post, maybe I misspoke when i said pushing the limits as i should have said exceeding. I don't think getting the trailer to a 3000-3500# pay load is unreasonable and if I can get it inspected to make it legal then what is the issue? Maybe I wasn't clear enough that if I can't get it certified then I won't be doing it?

The idea of getting a trailer registered as a home built trailer only works when you don’t have an existing VIN and it’s home made or custom made. You can’t just remove the original VIN and pretend it’s home made. I’ve had custom trailers built and registered in Alberta, so I know how the process works. You build the trailer, you pay them to come inspect it and they add the VIN and the weight rating that they decide on. You could literally spend thousands on beefing up this trailer, illegally removing the original VIN, and the inspector could give it a 2000 pound weight rating.

Do you know what happens when more than 50% of the weight of the trailer is behind the trailer axle?

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what exactly is the spec of the trailer as is, show us because id like to see what the tag or paperwork says. And the point about the vin thing is illegal, Because it has a VIN removing it means your chopping a (for all intents and purposes) vehicle by governments eyes.

if you have that trailer at a capacity of 1800, then you should really only be loading it to 1500-1600, especially since weight of the cargo is so concentrated in one size . because you should also be retaining these down because in a crash they are gonna keep going. im sure there arent many places to tie down inside that trailer so you would need to add some. and like said, you would have to keep it centered on the axle which is already very far back. the further forward you use it will make it worse. You need to at least then move the axle it does have.... etc.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The idea of getting a trailer registered as a home built trailer only works when you don’t have an existing VIN and it’s home made or custom made. You can’t just remove the original VIN and pretend it’s home made. I’ve had custom trailers built and registered in Alberta, so I know how the process works. You build the trailer, you pay them to come inspect it and they add the VIN and the weight rating that they decide on. You could literally spend thousands on beefing up this trailer, illegally removing the original VIN, and the inspector could give it a 2000 pound weight rating.

Do you know what happens when more than 50% of the weight of the trailer is behind the trailer axle?
i would think you have less weight on the tongue

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what exactly is the spec of the trailer as is, show us because id like to see what the tag or paperwork says. And the point about the vin thing is illegal, Because it has a VIN removing it means your chopping a (for all intents and purposes) vehicle by governments eyes.

if you have that trailer at a capacity of 1800, then you should really only be loading it to 1500-1600, especially since weight of the cargo is so concentrated in one size . because you should also be retaining these down because in a crash they are gonna keep going. im sure there arent many places to tie down inside that trailer so you would need to add some. and like said, you would have to keep it centered on the axle which is already very far back. the further forward you use it will make it worse. You need to at least then move the axle it does have.... etc.
not to sure where this removing the VIN came from. I never said anything about removing the VIN. I have used trailers before, I am aware that loads need to be strapped down properly. The trailer has lots of tie down points. The load is not concentrated to one side, I am not sure where you are getting this from? I can spread the load evenly and achieve the recommended 60/40 weight distribution.