Bed bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would a stiff shock cause the bed to bounce on the highway between 40-45Mph? I have a 97 ECSB with 1" blocks and nitto terra graps (P)285/70/17 shocks are Bilstein HD's I carry a 70lb spare tire in the bed next to the tailgate so there is weight in the bed but when I loaded a couch it rode so much smoother. Tires have all been checked and balanced . So I'm just wondering if these shocks are a bit stiff for the truck with lil weight in the bed...

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Would a stiff shock cause the bed to bounce on the highway between 40-45Mph? I have a 97 ECSB with 1" blocks and nitto terra graps (P)285/70/17 shocks are Bilstein HD's I carry a 70lb spare tire in the bed next to the tailgate so there is weight in the bed but when I loaded a couch it rode so much smoother. Tires have all been checked and balanced . So I'm just wondering if these shocks are a bit stiff for the truck with lil weight in the bed...

Yeah the HD's are to stiff. They are for work trucks. get the 5100's they are a little softer.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
your truck ran "smoother" because the springs were loaded, the shocks don't make a difference at that point other than rebound control. They don't hold weight, only control the spring movement.

If you want it to feel like that all the time you need to experiment with removing leafs from the spring pack. Which will change the ride height and weight carrying capacity as well.

Shocks with too much rebound and compression damping will make the truck ride harsh because they won't let the suspension react to the road surface fast enough.

For example: 3/4 or 1 ton shocks on a 1/2 ton suspension will be harsh. But only because they won't let the suspension cycle as fast as it should.

And vice versa is true: 1/2 ton shocks on a 3/4 or 1 ton suspension can be overpowered by the spring action and can end up "bouncing".

It all comes down to the valving inside the shock.

:)

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
yeah if you have the cash for the fronts that would be the way to go.....I think they look really nice also. Are you lowered or lifted your pics confuse me?