baja, prerunner, 4wd, long travel suspension kits.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
ok so i decided to check craigslist in the orange county ca area and it turns out these things are just as common in ca as riced out honda civics are in upstate ny. if i were to purchase one used, whats a good price to pay and what should i be looking for to turn my head at?

Make sure its built correct, make sure they didnt cheap out on parts

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so i decided to check craigslist in the orange county ca area and it turns out these things are just as common in ca as riced out honda civics are in upstate ny. if i were to purchase one used, whats a good price to pay and what should i be looking for to turn my head at?

Maybe I missed it.... but what are you looking for?

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Hes wanting to make a truck like yours out of a 4wd K1500....basically like i had attempted to get info on doing to my K3500 on DR and got shut down fast on that idea.

no im looking for a 2wd now. i have my 4x4 with lift and tires ill keep for a daily till i find what im looking for. ill make the prerunner a toy for around here or just a sweet daily and maybe go overboard with my gmt400. a gmt800 is looking great for a prerunner though.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
so on that note, what should i be looking out for because im not familiar with them. what kits to stay away from and all. and can someone tell me how a 4 link works? haha

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the 99+ I would stick to well known company front ends (chances you aren't super familiar with them).

Camburg
Mazzulla (would be my first choice)
Blitzkrieg
Kibbetech (awesome fabricator, don't think his design/geometry of the kit is quite there...and it is like excessively wide IMO)

And unless you plan on putting a roll cage in the cab, no need to 4-link it. Look into Deaver leaf springs and/or the Giant Motorsports 64" leaf spring kit. My buddy has one on his '99. If you want I can post up a picture of his truck

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
For the 99+ I would stick to well known company front ends (chances you aren't super familiar with them).

Camburg
Mazzulla (would be my first choice)
Blitzkrieg
Kibbetech (awesome fabricator, don't think his design/geometry of the kit is quite there...and it is like excessively wide IMO)

And unless you plan on putting a roll cage in the cab, no need to 4-link it. Look into Deaver leaf springs and/or the Giant Motorsports 64" leaf spring kit. My buddy has one on his '99. If you want I can post up a picture of his truck

that would be great, i wanna see pics of everything i can and especially the stuff to stay away from.

can i still get long travel in the rear with the leafs?

and as far as engine performance, what would be the best bang for the buck upgrades? idk what kinda power is ideal if i run an ls style truck. im building a turbo 6.0 for my 95 firebird now and as a daily i think that may be overkill. would a cam and a set of 243 heads with full bolt ons be enough? in a 5.3 i would assume thatd put me at 360+ whp and if i went 6.0 with that stuff i know they get over 400 whp with the right h/c combo let alone breathing better

all help is greatly appreciated guys. thanks for all the support so far!

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, you can get travel out of leafs. The Giant Motorsports 64" kit pulls like 20" of travel.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
that is a sweet truck. more questions, i like extended cabs but a single looks better i believe, any pros and cons to each? smaller is lighter but longer must track better right?

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eh, ultimately is preference. I am 6'3", so doing a full build (roll cage included)on a single cab, there is no way I would feel comfortable. The little longer wheel base on an extra cab is nicer to have in a longer whoop section. I also like having an extended cab just for a little additional storage space.

If you want to find something that is already somewhat built, check out race-dezert.com and go the classified sections, there are a ton of trucks and parts for sale. It is a good way to save yourself some money