Bad motor, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, im pretty sure i blew my motor and need a little help. I have a 1998 GMC K1500 with a 5.7 vortec. The motor wont start, the flywheel is putting up resistance an we dont know what it could be. Compression is all over the place, some examples are 190 180 120 60 etc. #4 cyl is at 60 any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

Sent from my Vortec powered iPhone

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need to do a wet compression test to tell if yourblow compression is due to bad rings or not. You could have a valve stuck open or a bad headgasket. Either way the motor needs to be torn into but you need to know what it is you need to fix first, unless you just want to do a full rebuild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

94Cheyenne

W/T 4 Life...
Reaction score
I had a buddy with a 5.7 one time had really bad plugs hydro-lock on us, went throught some puddles and filled up 3 1/2 cylinders.
Pulled the plugs and cranked it over to get the water and fuel out.
One of my trucks hydrolocked after it flooded out.

also ^^^ x2

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truck was and still is flooding, but we rid the cylinders of the fuel by doinng that, and his has brand new ac delco plugs, theres a definitely a knock in the engine though, we also replaced the injectors because we thought that they might be stuck open and putting too much fuel in the cylinders

94Cheyenne

W/T 4 Life...
Reaction score
Hmmmm:confused:

What happen to my buddies truck aftyer we hydro-locked it and stalled it out, we bent a rod and it had a bad knock until he sold the truck. If it still is flooding be sure to check that the fuel pump pressure saftey switch ( it's usually built in to the pump/sending unit) it working. Sit in the truck with the door open and turn the key to the #2 postion just before you start. You should hear the fuel pump engage to prime the motor and then shut off (anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds) If it doesn't time for a new fuel pump.

MY truck that kept flooding out and running rich that eventually hydro locked from a combination of stuck injectors and the pump safety switch.

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel pump is working and has sufficient pressure

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds pretty bad, i think were gonna rebuild the motor but we still dont know whats wrong with iy