Average labor for a swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jane7191

Reaction score
I bought a known good auto trans for 96 3500 cheyenne 4l80 and wanted to know tje approximate number of hours a garage wpuld charge to drop the old and install this new one I know a lot depends on the hourly rate they charge but being a women I want to find an approximate amount of time so I'll know i

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I think it usually depends on who's doing it, I would call the shop who will be doing the job and ask them about how long it will take roughly.

Reaction score
Aloha. Took me 5 hours to swap a 4l60 in a 2wd Tahoe with hand tools on the ground in winter... guessing a competent mechanic in a heated shop with a lift would take around 3 to do the same job.4l80 is a lil bigger, and if it's 4wd it will take awhile longer(less clearance, and gotta rassle with the transfer case/front driveshaft)...
a transmission tech would probably take even less time, since they pull transmissions all day every day and are specially equipped to do so...
Also, you should have the u joints & straps checked/replaced while they are under there taking everything apart.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most shops charge book hours, not actual time. Makes quoting the job easy and consistent.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just called a shop they wanted 1500 to bench build and 300 extra to pull and rebuild. my truck is 2wd.
my friend at work has a 40x50 shop at his house:head3: with a 5 ton lift and a trans jack :head3:so i'll be doing it myself.......:rocking: