Auxiliary fan - purpose.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. It's always interesting to hear details about vehicle ownership and maintenance from other parts of the world. Also always neat to see pictures of GM vehicles in other countries. It's fun to see such familiar machines in unfamiliar surroundings.

You're welcome. Neat to be giving something back after all the help I get here - see post above as example!

Likewise, I'm enjoying hearing how you guys do things your side of the big pond. It's a breath of fresh air for me here compared to the snobbiness of British forums - welcome!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pinger,
thegawd may be right about the auxiliary cooler leaking into the trans line, and might be the reason for bypassing it. Other than a pressure test I’m not sure how it could be checked.

As per earlier post - more investigation on this required.

The auto parts stores over here all offer fairly cheap flush kits. Cut into the heater hose and a T fitting provided in the kit is how it’s done. It works well.
DexCool was a new thing when the GMT400’s came out and a lot of well meaning owners dumped conventional green coolant into the orange DexCool. That makes sludge and bad ju-ju......
Flushing the cooling system should probably be a priority if you determine the radiator is still good.

When I got the truck (January) there was more sediment in the coolant than I was happy with and the frost protection wasn't as high as I thought needed and we were still in winter so changing the coolant was an early priority which was brought forward with the timing cover repair (crank case explosion if I've not previously mentioned it!). I read up on the Dex Cool and the coolant in the truck was red so I replaced with red. I didn't manage to flush the system as thoroughly as I wanted - only the rad. It still looks a bit sedimenty but there doesn't seem to be any cooling issues.
I suspect I will be changing the inlet manifold gasket this year so an opportunity to look at coolant again. It's a rolling plan alright but I want a simple reliable truck at the end of all this work. Really, all I'm doing is what you guys are doing - making the truck best suit my needs.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Im always glad to help out any way I can man, I'm also a newer user over here on gmt400 but I have 1000's of posts on another forum gmtruckclub that I believe has turned to **** with upgrades. Since I only have gmt400 trucks it only made sense for me to join this awesome group of people. Anyways I'm glad to be here helping out.

I have a pic of exactly where the hidden 7 way blue (electric brake controller) and orange (12v aux) wires are. I searched n searched for these for a long time, I couldn't find them but I have a small dump trailer that required a functioning 7 way plug. Laying under the truck with the y pipe and transmission out I could almost clearly see them wrapped up in electrical tape and tucked up under the brake booster and taped to another harness with a plastic loom. This is a pic of how I found it unaltered from the factory. I could see some blue and orange that caught my eye.

Now there is also a rpo code for hd tow package, theres a few different codes for different things but these codes will dictate if you have the 7 way harness, tranny cooler, powersteering cooler and your tow rating ect.... since you have the tranny cooler you have the 7 way wires. By the way all that tape in most of the pic is the wires all taped up.

Cheers.

Al

You must be registered for see images attach

Al

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im always glad to help out any way I can man, I'm also a newer user over here on gmt400 but I have 1000's of posts on another forum gmtruckclub that I believe has turned to **** with upgrades. Since I only have gmt400 trucks it only made sense for me to join this awesome group of people. Anyways I'm glad to be here helping out.

Cheers.
Agreed. The more time I spend here, the more I like it!

I have a pic of exactly where the hidden 7 way blue (electric brake controller) and orange (12v aux) wires are. I searched n searched for these for a long time, I couldn't find them but I have a small dump trailer that required a functioning 7 way plug. Laying under the truck with the y pipe and transmission out I could almost clearly see them wrapped up in electrical tape and tucked up under the brake booster and taped to another harness with a plastic loom. This is a pic of how I found it unaltered from the factory. I could see some blue and orange that caught my eye.

Well there's an eye-opener. I did have a look for it on mine - at the back! And all the time it's hiding up in the engine bay. I'll have a look in the right place later.

Now there is also a rpo code for hd tow package, theres a few different codes for different things but these codes will dictate if you have the 7 way harness, tranny cooler, powersteering cooler and your tow rating ect.... since you have the tranny cooler you have the 7 way wires. By the way all that tape in most of the pic is the wires all taped up.

Cheers.

Al

I'll have another look at my build sheet - see what other hidden features I have. Definitely there is tow related stuff. But I don't think it has ever towed anything but a draught behind it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Working on it! See above post.
I take it that's your Suburban in your avatar? Looks to be the same colour as mine. If it is the build sheet I have, there's an entry that says ''11U Exterior color primary'.
There's some unexpected things on that sheet - eg, high capacity air cleaner, speedo in km, and daytime running lights delete. What I suspect are daytime running lights to you are now my indicators (trafficators/turn signal indicators) with orange bulbs and no bulbs in what probably are your indicators (behind orange lenses).
Janesville is also mentioned - but I thought Suburbans were built in either Canada or Mexico not Wisconsin. My key fob has Canada written on it. Is that where mine was built?
Yep that's my Burb! Finally figured out how to post that picture. Code 11 is the platinum color, it does look different in various ways depending on the type of light. Over here, the daytime running lights are a addendum to the headlights; they use the low beams at reduced levels through a relay under the dash. That piece is a pure pain in various body parts to get to,I changed it on my old Burb and tried to relocate it as much as the harness allowed. Haven't wanted to mess with it on this truck yet; there's several other things I need to do with the dashboard and I would rather do them together. Also need to have funds and something else to drive or chase parts in. The DRLs on this truck will be working for a few months and then they stop for a while, then work again just like normal. I'm sure it's the relay cause that's how the other Burb was.
In the States the DRLs were an export only option so far as I know. My trucks were built in Mexico and I see a bunch of them around town that have that option, so l think GM built a lot of trucks there.
Janesville is in Wisconsin, a longtime GM plant that closed a few years ago. My Dad's 2006 Yukon XL Denali was built there. I used to know a gentleman who had retired from there and told me a few good stories about his time there.
The vortec engine intake manifold gaskets are a weak spot in these vehicles, I'm told that the orange dexcool antifreeze has something to do with it. It was designed to not be as corrosive to the plastic/aluminum radiator, but eventually it eats up the gaskets and then you get leaks. I have learned a lot about this on this forum! The orange stuff apparently was designed to last for a few years but be changed out every couple years. My truck had a leaky radiator when l was first driving it, and it finally got bad enough that I had it replaced 2 years ago. The water pump went last year and I changed it myself. Could have done the radiator too, just didn't have the time then.
The speedometer is obviously an export item, probably your lighting difference is too. I agree totally with df2x4, it's always neat to see our trucks in other countries. And I enjoy sharing experiences and truck service tips with others who also share their experiences with me. You probably figured out I like talking about trucks!
Hey what else are we supposed to do during lockdown? Work on em or talk about em

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
They are at the back as well, they are very well hidden back there, I had found them when I installed the 7 way plug a year prior to finding the front end. The back is hidden inside the main wire loom, up under bumper in between the bumper and the fuel tank. Wear a long sleeve shirt so you dont cut up your arms lol.

At the front the orange wire has a terminal to connect to the fuse block. You have to provide your own nuts and they are metric, I honestly think I took nuts off of a bicycle. LOL. A brake controller must be connected to the fuse box instead of the blue wire, it gets connected to the brake controller along with a couple more connections on the inside of the cab. You may need to provide fuses to correspond with the bolt connection in the fuse box, my fuse box in both trucks had them already even though no 7way plug was ever installed before I hooked them up.

I always solder every connection and use double wall heat shrink tubes to protect this connection forever.

Take care.

Al

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yep I will vouch for the long sleeve shirt idea. GM tucked all that harness away so it wouldn't get damaged, but it makes it fun to access when you need to. I had to replace my Hopkins aftermarket trailer plug harness and had to get in there to take the old one out. Those are a neat way to get a trailer connection for a 4way if you need it. Mainly I tow a uhaul and that's what all theirs are set up for. Between the frame mounted trailer hitch and the 44 gallon gas tank there's not much room up there.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
It has probably already been mentioned by the cooler on the far right is for the hydroboost/power steering..It looks like the trans cooler has been removed? The fan looks to be there as a additional cooling mechanism for the trans cooler. It looks like a nice install! I guess they had them stock?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
It has probably already been mentioned by the cooler on the far right is for the hydroboost/power steering..It looks like the trans cooler has been removed? The fan looks to be there as a additional cooling mechanism for the trans cooler. It looks like a nice install! I guess they had them stock?

The factory did engineer some good stuff. His truck is a 2500 export model so it may have some unusual items on it.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score

Yep, the aux fan is stock. My dad's dually has the aux fan in it as well as the power steering cooler and trans cooler.