Auto to manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim K

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is a repetitive question. I am getting ready to swap my 97 c1500 from a 4l60e to a nv4500. My question is what do I do about the ECM? Can I get my original ECM ‘reflashed’ from auto to manual or do I need to get it reflashed with a VIN from a manual truck? Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can get your original PCM re-tuned for the manual, no problem.

Jim K

Reaction score
You can get your original PCM re-tuned for the manual, no problem.
Thanks for your help. Any ideas where i can have that done. So far every place i have contacted can only reprogram to original specs from the VIN given. Thanks again

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Any ideas where i can have that done. So far every place i have contacted can only reprogram to original specs from the VIN given. Thanks again

I'd recommend Black Bear Performance. They tuned the PCM in my red '97, and had no problem altering things when I swapped from a 4L60E to a 4L80E. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome. I will give these guys a call. Thanks again. Really appreciate the help

You're welcome! You might have better luck emailing them, and sometimes they take a few days to respond. Good people though, they do great work.

Mike350AMF

Reaction score
I swapped in a nv4500 and had heath diesel flash my PCM going manual and a performance tune at the same time. It woke up my 99 burb.

Jim K

Reaction score
I swapped in a nv4500 and had heath diesel flash my PCM going manual and a performance tune at the same time. It woke up my 99 burb.
I will look into those guys too. Thanks for info. BTW Did you have any issues with the swap