Austin Texas project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First off, I just bought a 91 5 speed v6 2 wheel drive, reg cab stepside. 189k miles. I live down a dirt road and plan on using this vehicle to tow light loads. I just went through the only 3 days of "snow" for the year here in Austin Texas and driving it was utter ****. lol yeah I paid 900 bucks for it, but the **** was sliding out so bad at the bank drive-through on an ice patch. think i just slushed it up enough from burning out I finally got out the drive through. I can't be getting stuck like that, I'm not trying to rock crawl but I want to be able to get through some bad weather. Im going to do a whole brake job and replace all the seals/bearings, and at the same time wanted to clean up the rear end and possibly drop a locker, or buy a complete rear end from junk yard. just replaced clutch master cylinder and heater core, ac and heater now both work. truck seems pretty solid just has 20 years of weather on it.

SOME NOOB QUESTIONS:

did you get your detroit locker from a junk yard or did you rebuild your rear end with one? explain your experience

whats up with the spline numbers, are they specific to each housing, or are the differentials/axles/whatever else interchangeable to every housing?

The 1991 2wd v6 is that an 8.5 10bolt?

time and money isn't really an issue, just trying to thoroughly think it through. intend to bag the truck w/4 link and ride 15 inch steelies w/ good tires.

has anyone here chopped their roofs?

what do ya'll think about texan wire wheels super poke swangas? lol www.texanwirewheels.com

the bright headlight lever on my truck is broken, i can see the metal wire/pole thing disconnected. does the turn signal assembly replace that? or do i need to be looking for something else? turn signals work, just not hi beam headlights.

any suggestions on solutions to the rear view mirror being mounted on the glass? **** was off when i bought it. would almost rather screwing in a fixed one to the roof.

does anyone have any hints for opening a passenger jammed door and tailgate. both handles are broke, i see the metal hanger wire/cord things are attached to the lock mechanisms, but **** isn't opening. i tried pulling on them. would rather not pull the window out. tail gate is dented so i'll probably cut it out if it takes too long. use the sheet metal for tailgate handle relocation.

any feedback is appreciated

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I am going to forget that you asked about those wheels and give you some advice on the door. I had to do this on my truck when I first got it and the way I did it was easy. I just broke the outside handle off then grabbed the metal thing with some pliers and pulled up on them and the door opened then just buy a new handle and put it in.

CowlBoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
elbows, 84s, swangas!!!!!!! im down for you to get some. never seen em on a OBS before.:hmm:

Reaction score
I think it's gonna be reliable now that i replaced the clutch master cylinder, but i need to get it to pass inspection this month. gotta get this headlight lever fixed and rear view mirror mounted right. wouldn't even seriously think about any new rims till it's painted and interior bench redone. looks like previous owner killed a deer and put it riding shotgun. hell of a deal though, 900 bucks, runs, cd player, ac works, camper shell. got some wrangler silent armors coming in the mail. b-day is march 4th, gonna get my brothers to help me touch up the dings, sand it all down and start flat blacking it. Do the roll pan and tail gate relocate that weekend. take all the molding tape **** off the truck. I'll post a before and after pic. trying to bolt on the escalade front conversion by july if mail order is even that quick. gonna put the denali grill on it tho. would like to take it to heatwave. i'm over sound systems, left that **** back in high school. just want a nice paint job, lay frame, and drive well on roads and mild trails. and don't want to be SOL if i try to tow a jetski to the lake. might just go airlocker same time i bag it and frame off repaint it. first things first tho, headlight lever, rear view mirror, alignment, install tires, pass inspection, roll pan/tail gate relocate, line up the doors and fix jammed door, alot of sanding and paint preping, wheel bearings and brakes. gonna have a busy next two months, Then front end conversion, bag system, rear end overhaul, and interior. if i can find a place that can get me special rear glass sizes for reasonable price i would love to chop the roof about 2 inches or so in the back and replace the sliding glass with a solid piece. camper top is gonna make it look like a herse or something flat blacked till it really gets painted.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
To pass inspection that mirror doesn't have to be there. You only need one mirror and it's up to the inspector which one he or she chooses to look at but I have never met an inspector who would overlook a proper mirror just to fail someone. It's just not worth the fight. For the hi beams I bet it would not be hard at all to find a place that would "overlook" a small thing like that. Trust me when I say this, a $900 truck is not going to pass inspection the first time around.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Uh.......What direction are you going with this truck? You want to lay frame but want to hit trails with all terrain tires on those wheels?..........Which they say should only be used on FWD cars. And then chop the back of the cab but leave the front? I'm just confused.....

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
welcome, sounds like you got your work cut out for you

Reaction score
I'm not bagging it for a while, only got the c-notches and 4 link. won't be a while till i get front control arms and whole bag system/adjusters/etc. like i said just bought this truck for 900, gonna be putting miles on it trying to figure out what will break and need replacing. intending on riding steelies for a while, so i'm getting alterains, i'm not jacking it up for rock crawling at all, i live down a dirt road and it gets ****** some places, and don't want to get stuck in the mud dropping a jetski in the water. trying to figure out how to install this dimmer switch at the moment. just got it today.