Are all C1500 leafs created equal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering is there's a difference between the leaf springs on a half-ton Burb and the leaf springs on a half-ton pickup.
I tend to keep the third row out, and the cargo area fairly unloaded, and the thing rides like a dump truck.
I was wondering if the leafs on the pickups were a lower spring rate than the burb and if so, would they fit a burb.
And if not, would lowering leafs help at all. I'm trying to avoid going the lowering leaf route, but if they'll improve ride quality, then I totally will.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
All GMT400 leafs are the same. 1500-3500. The heavier the GVWR of the truck, the more leafs they added to the bottom of the pack, but the springs themselves are the same iirc. May wanna take a leaf out of the pack if its too stiff.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering is there's a difference between the leaf springs on a half-ton Burb and the leaf springs on a half-ton pickup.
I tend to keep the third row out, and the cargo area fairly unloaded, and the thing rides like a dump truck.
I was wondering if the leafs on the pickups were a lower spring rate than the burb and if so, would they fit a burb.
And if not, would lowering leafs help at all. I'm trying to avoid going the lowering leaf route, but if they'll improve ride quality, then I totally will.

All GMT400 leafs are the same. 1500-3500. The heavier the GVWR of the truck, the more leafs they added to the bottom of the pack, but the springs themselves are the same iirc. May wanna take a leaf out of the pack if its too stiff.
Negatory in this way: pickup springs are the longest eye-to-eye, Suburban are a little shorter, and fullsize Tahoe/Blazer are the shortest. They will not interchange from one body style to the next due to significant length difference.

I'm really surprised to hear someone say a C1500 Suburban rides rough. I've owned many, and to me, they ride waaaaaaayy too mushy.

It should be noted there are leaf number differences between the body styles, too. A C1500 Suburban's springs are designed to carry more weight than say, a C1500 regular cab/shortbed pickup. There's more leafs in the Suburban pack. Yeah you can pull one or two, but I really wouldn't. Not sure why you feel it rides so badly; maybe it needs new/better shocks.

Richard

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just wanna know how to smooth out the ride. I'm tired of being almost shaken out of my seat whenever I go over a rough patch of road. If a road is too bumpy, you cant even carry on a conversion over all the shaking and rattling going on.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I know the fronts need replaced. One is missing its bushing altogether, and the other is practically half gone.
But the backs seemed fine when we replaced my rear end a couple weeks ago, and that's where it feels like a lot of the shaking is from.
I have replacements for the front, I just dont have the best environment to get it done in. Too big of a slope in the driveway to jack it up much, and if I do it in the road, I dont have access to the air tools.

codymoore

Reaction score

I know you asked about the burb and the truck, but I know for certain that even the silverado springs vary. My brother and I both had 1990 Sports (and I also had an additional '90). My Sport was considered a "heavy" 1/2 ton truck when you order parts for it. Everything was "heavier" from the springs, sway bar, pitman arm etc. Literally two different setups. Just passing my experience along. Hope you find your info. CM