Anybody here get thier waterpump rebuilt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I realize this would probably be better asked on a old car restoration board, but I'm going to try any way.

I have a GM water pump that I'd like to get rebuilt. I'm currently running a new Chinese pump and would like to go back to a real GM pump. Who can I send it to, for rebuild?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thats not a real popular thing to do since replacements are rarely defective. They are easy enough to take apart and rebuild yourself but I dont know where you would find a 'rebuild kit' since assembled replacements are cheap and usually come with a 1-6 month warranty.

What is the reason you need a GM pump? a GM dealer may stock OEM pumps still?

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AC Delco sells the GM "OE" on RA for $141.89. I wonder what the rebuild would cost? Would downtime come into play?

Personally, it would be hard for me to come up with that cash when AC Delco Pro series is 33.79. :jawdrop:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Well yeah, that's supporting the Chinamen express. Imagine if nobody bought whatever product the company you work for or what your business sells/does. You'd go out of business and hungry pretty fast. Support your fellow man every now and then. If I was dictator.......

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thats not a real popular thing to do since replacements are rarely defective. They are easy enough to take apart and rebuild yourself but I dont know where you would find a 'rebuild kit' since assembled replacements are cheap and usually come with a 1-6 month warranty

It's not popular among the modified truck crowd, but it is common among the restoration people..... they look for correct date codes.

What is the reason you need a GM pump? a GM dealer may stock OEM pumps still?

I'd like to keep my GM, GM, and not Chinese repop as much as I can for things that aren't really consumable or HP parts, and then I'm going to look for US/Canadian if I can help it. If the dealer can get it, they'll likely want 1.2 billion dollars for it. Last time I went to the dealer they wanted almost $100 for some spring clamps and hose nipples. While I do like OEM parts, I'm not going to pay highway robbery prices, either.

AC Delco sells the GM "OE" on RA for $141.89. I wonder what the rebuild would cost? Would downtime come into play?

Personally, it would be hard for me to come up with that cash when AC Delco Pro series is 33.79. :jawdrop:

No down time, as I bought a new Chinese pump when it let go in the middle of winter.

The shop I found on the east side of the state will do it for just over $100, Through ebay. I haven't contacted them through their website for specifics on my particular pump. From the various websites I've seen it doesn't look like rebuilds take all that long..... now if you've got a Maserati or Ferrari pump, that might take longer!

I also hate wasting stuff... it's cast iron, and perfectly good except the seals.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I was just looking at them on ebay, and it looks like new production AC Delco pumps, for my truck, are Chinese. The ACdelco part number is the same, but the GM part number seems to be different.

I did find some good deals on pumps by the casting number, but they were a standard rotation pump by the part number. I would need a reverse rotation pump.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well yeah, that's supporting the Chinamen express. Imagine if nobody bought whatever product the company you work for or what your business sells/does. You'd go out of business and hungry pretty fast. Support your fellow man every now and then. If I was dictator.......

Totally agree with you! I do buy USA where I can at times! I just find it hard to pay 500% more for a water pump. It's a water pump in my eyes. It's a propeller shaft with a bearing, seal and a pulley. If I replace it 4 times, I am still paying less than what I paid for the OE. However, they usually come with a lifetime warranty, so you are not paying for it more than once. One could argue labor here, and I totally get that too. However, I have used the Chinese water pumps from Oreilly's and Rock Auto and never had a problem with them. Others may have had nightmares from them as well.

All that being said, if the rebuild price is within reason, then that's not a bad idea either! No reason to throw out good metal!

It's random with me. Some things I will pony up the big bucks for and some things I go a little cheaper. Even when I go cheap, I still try to go name brand cheap.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's funny you mention that. I work for a company that was bought out by a Japanese company. So, since our products are made here in the US (and worldwide) and shipped worldwide, when the Japanese buy something local, they are supporting both themselves and the US manufacturing industry. Then, when they order a part, they may be supporting the Australian shop that built it and the US shop that distributed it.

Global trade kind of blurs those lines sometimes.