Another RHamill Tranny Thread, Hop In!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have done so much talking to guys at work, I work at Betten Honda, so I walked over to Betten Chevy, and Betten Hyundai to get as much information as I could.

1 guy at Hyundai was a GM Tranny Tech, so he helped me the most, I hooked my Jalopy up to the Tech II at work, read everything, threw a P1870 code, which is Trans Component Slipping, took some snapshots with the reader, the slip time between 1-2 varied from around .32 to .44, which changes depending on speed I think.

All that aside, we found a bulletin about a jumper wire going from 2 circuits in the VCM on 1996 Chevy C/K trucks with the 4l60e, the guy at Betten Hyundai said he had about 10 of them still in the package with the instructions at home and I can have one free.

I came in today, and he had set it on my tool box (awesome that he is a man of his word, that's hard to find nowadays) so I just have to figure out how to install it*.

I got to thinking about this whole trans slipping issue though on the drive home, I just started noticing the slipping RIGHT after I flushed tranny and changed filter, I filled the trans up with straight trans fluid, no Lucas additives or anything.

SOOO, Im wondering if the fluid I flushed had additives to prevent slippage, and that was preventing the slipping? Very possible IMO.

I created this thread for all you guys who have the same issue as me, and are looking for other options besides dropping the tranny and getting a different one.

Anyone with a 1996 with a 4l60e should look in to that jumper wire, it even comes with a tag stating the wire was installed, so its treated like a recall update.

Once I install that wire, and drain a quart of trans fluid out, and add a slipping prevention additive, I will update you all with any further information.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as i said before, get a bottle of the lucus trans stuff and see if that helps

as much as i dont like 90% of the additives on the market i have had good luck with the lucus stuff

i had the same code and real hard shift from the line pressure being so high, put a bottle of the lucus in, cleared the code and havent had a problem in 1.5 years since

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
as i said before, get a bottle of the lucus trans stuff and see if that helps

as much as i dont like 90% of the additives on the market i have had good luck with the lucus stuff

i had the same code and real hard shift from the line pressure being so high, put a bottle of the lucus in, cleared the code and havent had a problem in 1.5 years since

Does the additive change the viscosity of the transmission fluid, lessening the pressure in the lines?

I ask that now, but I will probably know in about 10 minutes, because I am just now opening a new tab to start reading everything there is about the product :lol:

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone with a 1996 with a 4l60e should look in to that jumper wire, it even comes with a tag stating the wire was installed, so its treated like a recall update.

Once I install that wire, and drain a quart of trans fluid out, and add a slipping prevention additive, I will update you all with any further information.

Can you provide me more info on the wire/recall? What does it do/update? Do you have a part number?

I have a 96.... Thanks.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Condition:

Some owners may comment that the automatic transmission has either a slip or flare on the 1-2 and/or 2-3 up-shift, or no 3rd or 4th gear, or launch shudder. Upon investigation, the technician may find a DTC P1870 stored in the VCM.

Cause:

A poor internal ground between the two circuit boards of the VCM may cause the VCM to command erratic line pressure at the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve.

Correction:

Using harness jumper wire and instruction kit, Part Number (12167310), revise the wiring harness at the VCM connector. Corrections were made to the VCM beginning 2/14/1996, The corrected VCMs are identified with the service number 16244210 on the VCM identification label.

--

If your truck doesn't gave the corrected service number, then you should probably get that kit, the instructions are included.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12167310/

There's no picture, but $41 is quite pricey for a clear plastic bag with a wire in it :lol:

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no it doesnt change that line pressure or anything...but in my truck when i got the code it bumped the line pressure to max as a precaution to help with the slipping

clearing the code put it back to normal line pressure and the lucus helped with the slipping

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm going to sound like a ******* here Ryan lol But you should NOT have flushed your transmission, that is what is causing the slippage. It has nothing to do with flushing out additives or anything like that. It's the trans itself that gets effected by the flush. There is a shop 15 minutes from me that is owned by a man named Lee. He has been building transmissions since the 50's, we've had several trans rebuilt there. We have never had a problem of any sort and have never flushed a transmission. Anyways, He says that someone will bring there car/truck into one of the local dealerships for a flush, and within 6 months that same car will be in his shop for a rebuild. I don't honestly know what it does to them for sure, But I have seen the effects of flushing a trans many times. Just do the fluid/filter changes at the recommended intervals and you'll be golden.

Now the Lucas trans slip stop additive does work well, really anything Lucas brand is good stuff! Most of the additives out there are nothing more then snake oil but lucas and STP do work well. I would deffinetly dump some lucas in your trans, that will help your slipping problem most likely! Just don't flush it again man!

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
Your transmission is done mang, their is no defect in the design...Most automatic transmissions are not designed to last much over 200k...the clutch packs have wearing surfaces just like a manual clutch/pressure plate design...they wear out over time...I suggest you stop wasting your time with some quick fix, that might net you a few hundred more miles of life and just replace the trans...

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Well I'm going to sound like a ******* here Ryan lol But you should NOT have flushed your transmission, that is what is causing the slippage.

:word:
Every time anybody on this sight mentions flushing their transmission I always at least make a mention that they shouldn't just because of situations like this.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Well I'm going to sound like a ******* here Ryan lol But you should NOT have flushed your transmission, that is what is causing the slippage. It has nothing to do with flushing out additives or anything like that. It's the trans itself that gets effected by the flush. There is a shop 15 minutes from me that is owned by a man named Lee. He has been building transmissions since the 50's, we've had several trans rebuilt there. We have never had a problem of any sort and have never flushed a transmission. Anyways, He says that someone will bring there car/truck into one of the local dealerships for a flush, and within 6 months that same car will be in his shop for a rebuild. I don't honestly know what it does to them for sure, But I have seen the effects of flushing a trans many times. Just do the fluid/filter changes at the recommended intervals and you'll be golden.

Now the Lucas trans slip stop additive does work well, really anything Lucas brand is good stuff! Most of the additives out there are nothing more then snake oil but lucas and STP do work well. I would deffinetly dump some lucas in your trans, that will help your slipping problem most likely! Just don't flush it again man!

Flushing a perfectly functioning transmission WILL NOT make it fail. That's a myth that just won't seem to die. What people "mis-remember" is that nearly everyone who comes in for an emergency "flush" is doing so as a last resort from a transmission that's already failing. Properly servicing a transmission, INCLUDING replacing all of the fluid by letting the internal pump do the work is completely safe and should be done at most every 30K miles.

As for the OP, if it's full of fluid and nothing is obviously wrong, just get the thing rebuilt and stop trying to band-aid it. It's worn out, and nothing is going to cure that. The only circumstance that could cause it to slip as a result of changing the fluid is if you filled it incorrectly.