Another mystery wire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok ....Yes, I did a deeper look and my tk does have that wire and connector. It's stuffed down below the distributor. It plugs into another connector nearby that comes out of the MAIN thick harness just as it starts to go vertical "up" towards the relays (and ultimately back through the firewall, and to the ECU). It probably IS the base timing connector..

Fish around in that thck main harness where it Y's-off back behind the engine, for the connector or a lone brown wire. I believe it is the one in the picture (above) ...but my harness is stuffed down a lot lower.

Hope it helps. Let me know.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said V8 swap. Ok, is the wiring or harness been changed or all stock? Have you taken an inspection mirror, or small mirror and flashlight, thoroughly inspected all the area that wire could reach, from the top , left and right. From the underside , left and right. What is the wire color, not the exposed faded color, peel the tube back the original color.
Year, make , model, I'll give it a shot.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On your 2nd original picture ...pull the plastic loom back & fish around in that thick 1.75" harness of wires by your knuckles (in the picture) for a lone brown wire an/or the connector. That's where the mating end of mine comes out. It's down low just before where that thick harness sort of Y's-off to other smaller harness trunks.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said V8 swap. Ok, is the wiring or harness been changed or all stock? Have you taken an inspection mirror, or small mirror and flashlight, thoroughly inspected all the area that wire could reach, from the top , left and right. From the underside , left and right. What is the wire color, not the exposed faded color, peel the tube back the original color.
Year, make , model, I'll give it a shot.

Wiring harness is 99% stock. I had to lengthen the knock sensor wire (but the connector did not change), I had to change one of the sensors going to the TBI, but the wiring itself was the same, and I ADDED the connector to the coolant temperature sensor because mine was MISSING.

1989 Chevy K1500, 4x4, factory 5-speed.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok... so I pulled some of that wire out of the harness behind the engine. It's a purple wire, not brown like I thought, and the loom it's in runs all the way down past the starter, to the connections on the front differential?? I have to see where the other end actually connects to because that makes NO sense.