And another one bites the dust (engine that is)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'm going to contain myself, and stick to the top end. I have a long weekend coming up due to Veterans Day. I'm going to pull the intake and heads. It will be easier to do the valve seals on the work bench and since the intake will already be off, it makes sense to pull the heads. I'll clean all that up and put it back together.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another hour of work and you would have a fresh timing set and a cam. You know that you will kick yourself a week later if you don't.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Another hour of work and you would have a fresh timing set and a cam. You know that you will kick yourself a week later if you don't.
You know me well. That and a water pump, and no more.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
May as well drill the pushrod holes out. If it decides to run right down the road you can just drop some 1.6s in and not wonder if they'll hit.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
May as well drill the pushrod holes out. If it decides to run right down the road you can just drop some 1.6s in and not wonder if they'll hit.

If I yank the heads, I'll do that for sure. No reason not to.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Not so fast...

Replaced the PCV valve, and seemingly no oil loss for 175 miles. The old one was replaced about 60k miles ago. It would rattle when shaken, but must not have been sealing properly. I had no idea it could suck down oil that quickly.

$4 is better than the alternative. Keeping fingers crossed and stroking lucky rabbit's foot for now.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's dang near handy! Hope that fixes the problem and the little small block lives to 300K being the faithful little critter it is.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Well, there has been no appreciable loss of oil now with 450ish miles after the new PCV valve. I would have never thought it would cause that kind of massive oil consumption. I have replaced them over the years as PM items, but never experienced a failed one.