AM92's 98 K1500 "Elsie" Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah with the fans off its fine, but at night witht the lights on when the fans kick on at a stoplight it drops it down to like 10 and then it comes up to 12 when they get up to speed.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The bad part about side post cables is they corrode inside an you can't see it. Mine were nasty....[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I have changed out a bunch of cables for the same reason's!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they both start up at the same time? That a huge current draw if so an I doubt a new alt would help much unless you go to the nbs 145 amp one....

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah they do, but even after they get up to speed the voltage is still low and the lights get dim at idle...the NBS AD244 alt was what I was looking into as a replacement

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't know the specs on those fans but even if one takes 15 amps at startup an 7-8 to run (its probably more than this, im just making an example) your looking at a 30 amp startup load an a 15 amp constant when they are to speed.

Its probably going to take new wires an the nbs alt to run then without a little dimming. I have a Jeep fan for mine, its a single 16" fan an it takes 25 amps on startup, an 12ish to run iirc....

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Got the bumper reinforced and reinstalled today. It wasn't messed up for long, but I just couldn't stand how it looked.

New tabs welded on

You must be registered for see images attach

Reinforcement plates welded on

Installed

I'll get some better pics outside with her tomorrow. It was a fun project, but I'm glad to be done for a while :)