Am I in the right place?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So today I took out the truck my first real time driving it with any distance/time and lots of stop and go here's some issues.

Transmission we've lightly touched on this one, but now I think it might not be the trans, as it seems to shift fine it seems more now as if the hydraulic clutch just isn't quite right (supercharged might convince me to forget the t5 ) ill have to look at the best way to bleed as I've not dealt with an internal slave before

The biggest issue that scares me more now, is that in tight turns, such as entering a parking spot, gas pump etc. This thing just pushes the front end like the wheel is still straight it, got worse once the rains started. The front end was supposed to have been rebuilt shortly before I bought it, talking to the gentleman I purchased it from he said it started after the rebuild and "I just got used to it". Have any of you all ran into this? I've seen posts about 4wd models doing something similar.

Lastly is there a way to find out for sure how many leaf springs should be in the rear? I think when it was lowered a few were pulled and air shocks added, it rides decent just worried about hauling/towing

Thank you for the help and as a reward for reading here's a few more pictures lol

Attachments

• 20210724_143115.jpg
    20210724_143115.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210724_143237.jpg
    20210724_143237.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210724_143221.jpg
    20210724_143221.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210724_143121.jpg
    20210724_143121.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210724_143302.jpg
    20210724_143302.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 13

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had really wide wheels on my truck. I changed wheels and tires where the offset was in more. I also had alignment done. It definitely made it better but my truck still does it a tiny bit.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Give us more info on your truck. 2 WD or 4 WD? What tires are you running. What brand of tire are they. How long has it been since the alignment, and where was it done. And any time you have questions, we need your truck info to be able to help. Year, engine size and 2WD or 4WD. These trucks very from year to year.

Reaction score
info on this one really varies greatly it started life as a 4.3 auto and is now a 350 5sp. It's an ext cab 2wd the alignment was "done" after the front was rebuilt about 1 month before I purchased it. Don't know the brand of tire but they are 275/60/15 all around. Alignment was done at a local shop. I did jack the front end up today and it looks like the alignment may have been a myth the p side tire like to point right when the driver's side tire is straight

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, too much toe. A while back I aligned the front end on my mower by sight, and once on it I could see it was toed out. It pushed like crazy until I cranked the tie rod back in.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Same size tires I'm running. I had issues with bad alignment and cheap tires. Kind of like what your describing. I bought a set of Hankook Kenergy st tires and had the truck aligned. No more issues. It is hard to find a good alignment shop that will do. A proper alignment on these trucks. Also the tire I had before the Honkooks were some street steel, same size. The truck would hunt the road, and like you described felt like it was slipping when turning hard right or left, but mostly only at full lock turns. My truck is a 97 c-1500 so 2 WD Silverado with a 5.7L.

Reaction score
I thought I would finally update this as the reason has finally been found! After $1200, studying the service manual, and watching several front end rebuilds on YouTube.

It turns out that whomever rebuilt the front end put the center link on backwards, which moved the tierods (also backwards) causing the steering to well push.

It must have looked right I suppose as two shops looked at it and one replaced the upper control arms and aligned it.

Hopefully this will help someone on the future