Alternator tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Left work the other day and when I started the truck i started to hear a low ticking in the engine bay... yay:rockit:
By the time I got home(30 min) it was loud as all :wtf2:
So I opened the hood while it was running to try and find out what was going on. Driver side was loud and got a lot lower when i walked to the passanger side. Took a stethiscope to a few things and... Alternator! yay!!... not:thumbsdown:
So my bearings bad in the alternator. While Im replacing it anything I should do? i.e. mods or what not?
Also Im thinking about just going with the New Tech (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mci-n8165-7) but its only 105 Amps. I work at Summit and get a discount so should I just spring for the Power Master (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-47861/overview/make/chevrolet/year/1994/model/k1500) It puts out 140 Amps.

So any thoughts?

Last edited:

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can do a 140 amp with a longer belt.

Why would I have to use a longer belt? Its the same size.
My price for the 105 is only $55 new. idk if I can pass that up. Im not running any subs or anything.

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pulley size is different

Oh ok. Well as I just went to leave work it locked up completely and right as I opened the hood the belt snapped... So new alternator and belt it looks like.

Last edited:

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt get off work till 11:15 so I had my girl come and get me from work and bring me to work today. Looks like its going to sit at work till I have the ride/time to fix it in the parking lot before work

looks like it wont be till friday