Alternator Failing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I was driving with the fan on, lights on cause it was dark, and I have my blinker on when I noticed the lights getting dim. So I turned the fan off and my blinker off cause i made the turn and it barely got in between 12 and 14 volts. Is my alternator failing?
You must be registered for see images attach
close up of just lights on

just lights on with engine warm at idle, think oil pressure okay?

lights on with fan, not the blinker though

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
the charging issues could be loose connections check and tighten all this first before spending any money.... and what's your oil pressure while driving? warm at idle that is fine, that's how my 96 was but then when you were driving it would hold close to 40 psi

Sent from my static android

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i agree, these trucks are so dependent on good grounds, start with those first, especially battery to body and engine to frame.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I'll have to take a look at that. I'm thinking about upgrading to a bigger alternator anyway.
And yeah. It is around that much at idle with some oil stabilizer in it. When I hammer the throttle it'll go close to 60psi. And when its cold it is around 60.
Without oil stabilizer and warm, at idle its around 15 to 17psi in gear.
And I just found out that the last person to own this truck took out the lines for the oil cooler. I think there was some in there. It has brass plugs in place of the oil lines. i know the tranny oil cooler is in there. I see the lines for those.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
if you wanna get a better alternator get an ad244 it's a bolt on fit just need a little bit bigger belt

Sent from my static android