Almost thirty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My stepdad recently passed, and I was given his 1990 Silverado that he bought new in August of that year. It just crossed 126k miles on the trip from Michigan to Ohio yesterday. It had sat for a bit over a year, but once the battery was charged it fired up fairly quickly.

I think the first task will be to put in a new stereo. It has the original cassette deck and equalizer in the center dash area that still works, but I'd like to have something that can play my digital files. After that, fresh brakes, wheels and tires, a mild drop, etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I love it. Two tones are sexy trucks. THe wheels set it off.

What's the purchasing story? DId he simply buy it off the lot or did he custom order it?

Keep the factory stereo. If you get rid of it, please send it to me. I need all the functional amp & tape EQ decks I can get.

I modded my tape deck to have an auxiliary input. Used to have some ****** Alpine in the center of the dash, I hated the way it looked and compared to factory, it didn't sound as good. The speakers are the big thing which makes the stock system suck dog turds. Replace them with Infinity Kappas and use the factory EQ to attenuate unwanted harshness (if any). Look up the threads on the install, I posted pics of my mod to one of them.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love it. Two tones are sexy trucks. THe wheels set it off.

What's the purchasing story? DId he simply buy it off the lot or did he custom order it?

Keep the factory stereo. If you get rid of it, please send it to me. I need all the functional amp & tape EQ decks I can get.

I modded my tape deck to have an auxiliary input. Used to have some ****** Alpine in the center of the dash, I hated the way it looked and compared to factory, it didn't sound as good. The speakers are the big thing which makes the stock system suck dog turds. Replace them with Infinity Kappas and use the factory EQ to attenuate unwanted harshness (if any). Look up the threads on the install, I posted pics of my mod to one of them.

I'll look into the Aux input thing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to play music from a flash drive, but I also have an old iPod Touch laying around that I could use. It has the speakers in the dash and the side panels behind the windows.

My stepdad was a 40 year GM employee, and bought the truck using his discount, but I can't remeber if he ordered it. I was actually there when he picked it up, and drove his car back home for him while my Mom and he drove the truck home.

All of the original paperwork is there, so i'll look through it all and see if there is anything pertaining to an order. In the glovebox was a cassette tape from Chevy with recorded info on the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's so nice that you're able to keep something of his that must have been special to him. The truck looks like it was well taken care of.

:)

Thank you, and yes it is very special to me. He was a very nice and kind man.

He was meticulous in how he took care of everything, and especially his vehicles. The seats were always covered with towels, and the carpet was covered with mats and other carpet pieces. The original carpet is almost mint. The headliner has begun to sag in a few spots however. And, even though he always did the Ziebart rustproofing along with the annual follow-ups, there is still rust above both wheelwells on the bed.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lower it and leave the camper on!

I'm still debating on the fiberglass cap. The receipt was still in with all of the paperwork. He got in put on within two weeks of getting the truck. It was close to $700 way back in '90. The receipt shows that it was color matched to the Catalina Blue factory GM color of the truck.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still debating on the fiberglass cap. The receipt was still in with all of the paperwork. He got in put on within two weeks of getting the truck. It was close to $700 way back in '90. The receipt shows that it was color matched to the Catalina Blue factory GM color of the truck.
I think they look cool. But I've always liked retro stuff like that. I love flipping through 90s trucking mags