Will it be ok?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After cutting Weld it together..

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so I'm slowly getting the truck back together and while I had everything apart I thought I throw some air Bags in the back.

The problem is the air bag bracket hits the B&W bracket. I was thinking I could cut a small "C" notch in the bracket to get air bags put in place. It would only be about a quarter of inch to half an inch up the 3 inch section.

The other Idea was to cut it then after everything is in place weld the two brackets together..

Let me know what you guys think. Also those of you who have tow/air bags where do run your air line through to the cab?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
What airbags are you running, Firestones? I'd weld it back together after cutting it. I know I've ran into this before when installing a gooseneck but I can't remember what I did.

As for running into the cab - I've drilled a hole just below where the door chime/fuse panel is behind the parking brake - just be sure to use a grommet. I've also ran stuff in through the antenna wire grommet. Do you have the adjustable controls you're going to mount in the cab?

Not really on topic - but can you still pull the handle out to release the ball? I've just about always had to cut or bend up that lip in the fender well for the handle to clear it.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What airbags are you running, Firestones? I'd weld it back together after cutting it. I know I've ran into this before when installing a gooseneck but I can't remember what I did.

As for running into the cab - I've drilled a hole just below where the door chime/fuse panel is behind the parking brake - just be sure to use a grommet. I've also ran stuff in through the antenna wire grommet. Do you have the adjustable controls you're going to mount in the cab?

Not really on topic - but can you still pull the handle out to release the ball? I've just about always had to cut or bend up that lip in the fender well for the handle to clear it.

I do have the controls. Its a complete Air Lift kit. (Well 2... 1 is the air bags and hose to the rear plates. 2nd is the air compressor and all the items needed to install adjust on the fly (Gauge/switch/pod/and wires) )

As for your question. I don't seem to have a problem with it. I remember mounting it was very specific on how to tighten it so that it would actually pull the pin. I do from time to time smash my hand against the fender because I didn't loosen the 5th wheel torque bolt (Whatever its called. Every time you put the 5th wheel in there's a nut that needs to be torqued down which causes it to be hard to pull) EDIT: yes there is a little lip there now that I remember. Mine just has to be pulled down a tad before I pull on it. didn't have to bend anything.

I'll get a picture tonight for you to show it pulled out where it ends up.

Last edited:

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I do have the controls. Its a complete Air Lift kit. (Well 2... 1 is the air bags and hose to the rear plates. 2nd is the air compressor and all the items needed to install adjust on the fly (Gauge/switch/pod/and wires) )

As for your question. I don't seem to have a problem with it. I remember mounting it was very specific on how to tighten it so that it would actually pull the pin. I do from time to time smash my hand against the fender because I didn't loosen the 5th wheel torque bolt (Whatever its called. Every time you put the 5th wheel in there's a nut that needs to be torqued down which causes it to be hard to pull) EDIT: yes there is a little lip there now that I remember. Mine just has to be pulled down a tad before I pull on it. didn't have to bend anything.

I'll get a picture tonight for you to show it pulled out where it ends up.

Cool, I have installed several airbag kits... I've installed God knows how many B&W Goosenecks & 5th wheels lol

I think I know what you mean as far as the 5th wheel - you're using a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch on top of your gooseneck, correct? I love those.

No worries about the handle if you aren't having any trouble with it, it's just something I happened to notice in your pictures.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you just shave the top off the airbag mount and drill a new upper mounting hole lower? I can see I'll need to deal with this when I decide to install a goose in my dually.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Unless you are dead set on using Air Lift - the kit from Firestone (#2025) would work with your hitch if you can still take your Air Lift back. The upper bracket to the RideRite system for this truck actually mounts in place of the rear bump stop in between the frame and axle. It would save you a lot of work in the long run.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, I have installed several airbag kits... I've installed God knows how many B&W Goosenecks & 5th wheels lol

I think I know what you mean as far as the 5th wheel - you're using a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch on top of your gooseneck, correct? I love those.

No worries about the handle if you aren't having any trouble with it, it's just something I happened to notice in your pictures.

Yeah, Take the gooseneck ball out and place the 5th wheel in the hole. I thought about the rail system but to be honest I don't trust that setup as much and second I don't like having the rails in my bed when not in use. have a 05 duramax like that and I was actually surprised how often the damn things are in the way.

Can you just shave the top off the airbag mount and drill a new upper mounting hole lower? I can see I'll need to deal with this when I decide to install a goose in my dually.

I thought about that, I posted more to get some feedback. (Confirm self doubts if you will). And to get suggestions.