Aftermarket Radio Chime for Aftermarket Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Frawley

Reaction score
Hello! First thread here!

I recently bought a Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX 2-Din Radio for my 2000 GMC K2500 OBS. I was considering installing an aftermarket chime module that belongs in a NBS gm truck with an aftermarket radio. This would replace my dying-cat of a buzzer from the convenience center into the classic GM chime that plays through the truck's audio system.

Does anybody know how I can accomplish this task, or am I simply just wasting my time? Before this, I pulled a chime box out of an Astro van, which produced different chime patterns at a more bearable frequency, but it kept blowing the park lamp fuse (parking lights, dash lights, roof marker lights, tail lights). I figured since I'm replacing my Radio now, I might as well accomplish this.

Thank you for any input!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd just go pull a chime from a Camaro/Firebird if I were you. I seriously doubt it's going to be worth the effort to try and splice something into your aftermarket radio.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the GMT800s run the chime information via data to the radio. its not an external unit in those. body control sends the command to the radio, radio generates the tone and sends it to a speaker.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so the aftermarket chime item (metra GMRC for example) is simply looking for the data request and making the noise. the GMT 400s are obviously non data so the unit will not work.

if you wanted to use something that makes a noise you like then grab that, add a relay to trip it with the door open and ign off , you are done.

Sean Frawley

Reaction score
so the aftermarket chime item (metra GMRC for example) is simply looking for the data request and making the noise. the GMT 400s are obviously non data so the unit will not work.

if you wanted to use something that makes a noise you like then grab that, add a relay to trip it with the door open and ign off , you are done.

After doing some research, I've come across some videos of 99-00 Denali/Escalades that have what sounds like the chime module from early model GMT800s. Whether or not that module is located in the convenience center like it is on the other GMT400 models, I do not know. That's the sound I'm looking for, and I'm hoping that it's a plug and play sort of deal.

If you know anyone who is parting out a Denali/Escalade, let me know, since I am not yet able to post in the classifieds.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I'd just go pull a chime from a Camaro/Firebird if I were you. I seriously doubt it's going to be worth the effort to try and splice something into your aftermarket radio.

Wow, that is exactly what I did. So much better than the annoying constant buzz of the factory one.