aftermarket fuel pressure regulator options for TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy a cheap Holley deadhead for like $25 and convert it to return style for really cheap....that's what I did for my Camaro.

Basically you take it apart and remove the tiny check ball and replace it with a piece of 3/8 fuel line to seal to the diaphragm. Then you use the outlets as the feed and the return comes out the inlet.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Realizing my explanation is pretty vague. There's a writeup on nastyz28.com I can find if you're interested. This pic shows how it works:
You must be registered for see images

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We talk about this alot on the SS forum. Vaccum Refrence is the only way to go. The Aeromotive 13301 is what most people go with. We had a guy use the Jet one and said he couldnt get it to work. You can leave your stocker in place as the fuel pressure will always read to the highest pressure setting i.e. it will never drop below stock pressure. Oh another thing is always set your reg up in the return side, so you fuel routing should go,Tank, pump, filter, TBI, Reg, tank.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - woody that looks like an interesting setup, if your able to find the write up for it I would be very interested in reading it. BTW - that engine bay looks very nice/ clean. I would be interested in seeing about picking up the same regulator you used. Is yours also vacuum regulated? Is this the same setup your using with your truck?

It looks like the regulator I am using is not working properly (thats what I get for using a cheap china one). It worked great with my old subaru, but does not seem to work with low pressures.

Is the Aeromotive a decent one to get ? and is it also vacuum regulated?

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a link to the mod:
http://nastyz28.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1319661&postcount=13
You must be registered for see images attach

No it is not vacuum regulated, and no this is not what I'm using on the truck. I drilled & tapped the stock TBI regulator to make it adjustable with a new bolt.

FWIW, at ~20psi or under, I don't see the need to be vacuum referenced. The idea behind a vacuum reference is to keep the flow low enough to not overpower the idle. If you can tune your idle lean enough, lower idle psi is unnecessary.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - woody that looks like an interesting setup, if your able to find the write up for it I would be very interested in reading it. BTW - that engine bay looks very nice/ clean. I would be interested in seeing about picking up the same regulator you used. Is yours also vacuum regulated? Is this the same setup your using with your truck?

It looks like the regulator I am using is not working properly (thats what I get for using a cheap china one). It worked great with my old subaru, but does not seem to work with low pressures.

Is the Aeromotive a decent one to get ? and is it also vacuum regulated?

Aeromotive is a quality piece, and is vaccum Regulated. It's also very easy to install.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a link to the mod:
http://nastyz28.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1319661&postcount=13
You must be registered for see images attach

No it is not vacuum regulated, and no this is not what I'm using on the truck. I drilled & tapped the stock TBI regulator to make it adjustable with a new bolt.

FWIW, at ~20psi or under, I don't see the need to be vacuum referenced. The idea behind a vacuum reference is to keep the flow low enough to not overpower the idle. If you can tune your idle lean enough, lower idle psi is unnecessary.

Ok, I will have to tune the idle lean, then this regulator should work ok. I do notice that when I put my foot on it the fuel pressure drops a few psi's, around 2-3typically. Could that just be the cheap regulator I am using currently?

I also found out my oxygen sensor is bad, so will replace that on Friday (payday), and then get back into tuning.....I need to order the cable for my wideband before I install it. Little off topic - but for O2, Bosch or Denso? They are about the same price, so just curious which seems to be ran more.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Denso!!!!! I was having issues tuning my Beretta consistently and someone recommended I replace my brand new Bosch with a Denso. As soon as I did it ran much better.

If it drops 2-3psi for a split second only I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it should rebound almost instantly.

cland

Reaction score
I agree stay away from Bosch. Use a Denso. Walker is also a good brand to use.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't replied lately. I ordered a Denso O2 sensor from rock auto, now just have to wait till Saturday for it. I ordered it Monday morning. Guess they are busy, since I paid for 2day shipping.

Woody - is that picture of your engine bay? if so looks like a nice edelbrock carb there ;) and your regulator is on the fuel return side - correct?

I ordered a used stock intake, and TBI unit off eBay for $25 for both so I can at least fix my TBI unit. The return union that screws into the TBI is jb welded because the P.O. broke the housing for it. It does not leak, but I rather replace it then deal with it when there's 2ft of snow outside, or its cold. It was a bundle deal so I figured for $25 it wouldn't hurt. I am going to port the TBI some, and clean it up. The intake I am not sure yet if I am going to use, or just stick with my stock one. Any suggestions on what to do with the used intake I got? I am going to delete the EGR with a block off plate which I have, and I have it shut off in my chip.