aftermarket fuel pressure regulator options for TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks to Woody I am learning the chip burning and tuning part of things. I read on a website that the stock TBI fuel pressure regulator is only set to 12psi and after minor mods it runs lean. I have a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator that I have from my old Subaru build that I used, (looks like this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSI-ADJUSTA...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item23151f64fc ) I know its a no-name brand but it worked great in my subaru build. I was curious if this would work ok for my TBI build since its low pressure compared to the higher pressure of my old subaru.

If that regulator won't work, what are some good suggestions for aftermarket ones for the TBI setup? I am looking to get stuff ordered so I can have the basics for tuning.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant help you on if your old FPR will work or not but if not you can make the stock one adjustable fairly easy and good for 14-15psi.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant help you on if your old FPR will work or not but if not you can make the stock one adjustable fairly easy and good for 14-15psi.

I did read that somewhere, Altho I just got my fuel pressure gauge in so I am going to try my external regulator with a block off plate for the stock regulator. Any ideas on if I install the external regulator on the feed or return line?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an adjustable one from XTremeFI off of Ebay and love it

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the JET afpr and it sucks to adjust. wish I had gone with the XFI one.
Also note the stock fuel pump tops out around 14-15psi mine would hold 14 at idle but would dip down to 10-12 when I stomped on it. Got a TPI 255lph in tank fuel pump and it holds steady @ 13.5psi all the time now.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I modified the stock one to run 20psi.

But as far as adding an external regulator it doesnt matter if you add it to the feed or return. Either will work.

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Install it on the return line with a block off plate. The pressure will be more constant. If it is installed on the pressure side the pressure will drop on hard accel. until the pump recovers.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good - Looks like I will put it on the return line. Any idea what size the return is? MY AFPR has 1/8" NPT so i have to get fittings for it.

I think I am going to upgrade the fuel pump regardless if it holds pressure at 13-14psi. I have no idea on how old the current one is.

Loss4wrds - How do you like your 255lph pump? Where did you order it from ?

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine from summit racing (was already ordering other stuff) but the TPI fuel pump is a direct replacement for the TBI one in the trucks. Pulling the bed off and opening up the tank was the hard part, everything else was plug and play.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my bed off a couple months ago - so that will be easy for me :) I replaced the sending unit but figured the pump was good - now I regret not doing it...

also - do I need to hook up the vacuum line to my AFPR or should it be fine without it being hooked up?

The only vacuum lines I have are probably the charcoal canister filter and egr.

Last edited: