Adding an external oil cooler to a 97 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Are both ports supposed to be above the filter mount?

My thoughts were to use an oil filter mount with oil cooler ports. I wouldn't mind doing a relocation so I could use a bigger filter and put the oil cooler in line maybe

Yes, they're in the bottom of the block on the oil pan rail on the Gen VI and possibly Gen V.

They're 3/8th pipe thread. I plugged mine with Allen head plugs and pipe dope.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, they're in the bottom of the block on the oil pan rail on the Gen VI and possibly Gen V.

They're 3/8th pipe thread. I plugged mine with Allen head plugs and pipe dope.

They are on the bottom of the block on my 8.1s.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will look again tomorrow but I really think I only saw one port (with a plug) just above the the oil filter adapter.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I will look again tomorrow but I really think I only saw one port (with a plug) just above the the oil filter adapter.

They're right on the oil pan rail... if you're not looking at the very bottom of the block from below, you can't see them.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
It's a '95 7.4l,those oil cooler lines are OEM.I replaced both a few years ago cuz they were leaking at the radiator.Since the replacement I've had no leaks.The Engine was replaced @ 97,000 miles according to the PO so it could be a GEN V or GEN VI,definitely not a MK IV.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's a '95 7.4l,those oil cooler lines are OEM.

It must be the TBI engines use different lines that my Vortec. I didn't have those fittings brazed onto the tubes. Mine were crimped tubes that fir directly into the block fittings.

I replaced both a few years ago cuz they were leaking at the radiator.Since the replacement I've had no leaks.The Engine was replaced @ 97,000 miles according to the PO so it could be a GEN V or GEN VI,definitely not a MK IV.

I suppose someone could have swapped the TBI top end onto a Vortec engine, but I'd think you would need custom tunning given compression and the cam are different....that's just a guess, Though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '95 7.4l,those oil cooler lines are OEM.I replaced both a few years ago cuz they were leaking at the radiator.Since the replacement I've had no leaks.The Engine was replaced @ 97,000 miles according to the PO so it could be a GEN V or GEN VI,definitely not a MK IV.

A 95 would have been GenV stock and from what I understand there isn't a huge difference in blocks from GenV to GenVI.