Adding an external oil cooler to a 97 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
A 95 would have been GenV stock and from what I understand there isn't a huge difference in blocks from GenV to GenVI.
Yes,they're almost the same.I think the biggest difference is one has a ''boss'' for a mechanical fuel pump,one does not.I've tried to climb up inside the engine compartment to read the block casting number but there's a bunch of stuff in the way.

grampadirt

Reaction score
It must be the TBI engines use different lines that my Vortec. I didn't have those fittings brazed onto the tubes. Mine were crimped tubes that fir directly into the block fittings.

I suppose someone could have swapped the TBI top end onto a Vortec engine, but I'd think you would need custom tunning given compression and the cam are different....that's just a guess, Though.
Very possible someone put TBI parts on a GEN VI block.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A 95 would have been GenV stock and from what I understand there isn't a huge difference in blocks from GenV to GenVI.

The Gen VI was supposed to fix the things they got wrong in the V. I believe the oiling system is different. Some TBI engines are actually Gen VI castings machined as a Gen V, However. There's got to be something different in the cooling too, since it's only the V that has the head gasket issues when swapping heads.... ports matching up or something.

grampadirt

Reaction score
I've read and seen pics where the old Mk IV heads have different coolant passages from head to block.The Mk IV heads have a round hole and the V&VI heads have a hole kind of shaped like a distorted L,that's where the mismatch and leak comes in.However there is a company(don't remember the name) that makes a gasket for this.This means the old 049 & 781 can be used on a V & VI block.Old hot rodders know these two heads are the ones to use when wanting more hp.I've often thought about putting a set of these heads,a good 4bbl Edelbrock intake manifold,and a TBI adapter along with my TBI unit to see what would happen.The only thing holding me back would be not knowing if the TBI injectors could supply enough fuel to make it run right.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? The Dorman I bought only last about a year before it started leaking. I ended up just plugging the block ports.
Same here. I ended up replacing them with hydraulic lines on my 97.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Really? The Dorman I bought only last about a year before it started leaking. I ended up just plugging the block ports.

The only Dorman product I think I've ever bought that didn't overwhelmingly disappoint me.

grampadirt

Reaction score
Where I drove a delivery truck for nine years and delivered to repair shops carries two mfgr's hoses & tubes for A/C,trans,etc. They are Edelman & Omega,both are good.I have both on my Burb and neither have leaked.We also carry a full line of A/C products by the name of GPDProducts.All have been problem free.