ACDELCO Ignition Module Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've wondered and searches several times why Rock auto has 3 Ac Delco module options. I've figured the current GM recommended one is D1943A. but it also has the lowest part number 19179578. Anyone ever try the other modules and notice any difference? Or have any other knowledge of modules. I have 2 TBI trucks and was thinking I'd get one to keep in the toolbox. If I do that know I'll never have one fail. Every junkyard run I've done the modules were gone or so nasty I wouln't want to keep them.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's been a while since I looked into the subject but the AC Delco part # for the module that ends in 369 is supposed to have a better timing curve for performance. I don't know if this one is still available new or from which application, but you can search on it and find more info as it's somewhat well-known and discussed around different forums.

Richard

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I'll throw in more info. I saw mention of a "369" module and I have a picture of the one in my Burb and it's stamped "369". But I don't see any other reference. My Google fu must be week because I can't find any info on that icm. Also once the truck is running the module doesn't affect timing, but may affect dwell if I remember correctly.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Not sure if it applies here, but Delco offers 3 levels of quality, the advantage is the lowest, professional is the middle and original equipment is the best.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point D1906c is listed as an acd professional part. That's the middle priced one. It has the highest part number also.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point D1906c is listed as an acd professional part. That's the middle priced one. It has the highest part number also.

I just bought one of these yesterday for my truck. I hope it lasts longer than the other ones I’ve had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I'll throw in more info. I saw mention of a "369" module and I have a picture of the one in my Burb and it's stamped "369". But I don't see any other reference. My Google fu must be week because I can't find any info on that icm. Also once the truck is running the module doesn't affect timing, but may affect dwell if I remember correctly.
May want to do more research into that subject. I'm no expert so I can't debate it here, but I think some more digging would be wise. I'd dig just out of personal curiosity but it's irrelevant to me at this point since I no longer own anything that would use these modules.

Here's something to chew on though and I do realize this person has his supporters and detractors. I'm just throwing this out here, not siding one way or the other at this point:

1983G20Van said:
For those of you noticing a fall off of power after 3,500 rpm on even a stock TBI engine in good shape, pop off the distributer cap and look at the ignition control module. If its a stock GM module, look at the numbers inscribed in it. You will either have 048 or 369. The 048 is a TERRIBLE module to have as it will pull a ton of timing over 3,500 rpm. The 369 will actually add a 2* of timing advance over 4,000. The 048 was like a built in rev-limiter, the 369 was used in performance applications and applications that needed upper rpm performance. TPI Camaros/Firebirds and TBI Fullsize Vans and 9C1 cop cars came with the 369 module. TBI Trucks and Civilian B-cars as well as TBI F-cars came with the 048 modules.

Purely anecdotal evidence from me but I've owned a lot of TBI-engined vehicles and the 9C1 Caprices always surprised me with how powerful they seemed compared to the trucks. For big, heavy cars they ran like scalded dogs.

Richard

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might look up the fsc forums. The 369 and the D.u.i. icms are discussed. I think the later tbi trucks had the 369 one stock.
Also 9c1 caprices had the tpi roller cam and flat top pistons plus 93s had different injectors. So ya they ran a lil better.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my 95 454 has a 369 module in it, but acdelco shows the d1943a module, which I don't think has numbers in it, as the replacement for pretty much every TBI V8 and V6 including every f body I've looked up. That said unless the computer losses timing control the computer controls timing above 400 rpm.