AC sucks is there an upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That can cause it to freeze up if you run the truck at high rpm (doin 80 constantly). The compressor can't kick off to let the low side pressure come up any.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That can cause it to freeze up if you run the truck at high rpm (doin 80 constantly). The compressor can't kick off to let the low side pressure come up any.

I have heard about the possibility of freezing but as of yet I haven't had any issues. The only time it sees over 2100 rpm is when im getting to speed.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If i am not mistaken, you have the low pressure switch bypassed. The lower the low side pressure, the colder the ac is. This is why one freezes when it is low of freon.

gndd1997

Reaction score
Well my 88 reg cab swapped from r12 to 134 would freeze your balls off...I put a new top house on my AC and I think is full..my friend is bringing me some gauges this weekend so I'll see...is there a guide on pulling the blower ?

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk

Calvin, if you haven't found out how to pull the blower motor yet...it's under passenger side dash, probably with a plastic and foam sound deadener that's kind of a PITA to get off (you will have to take your glove box off), then remove about 8 small bolt/screws around perimeter as well as power and ground wires, then carefully pull it out and jimmy it around all the other under dash crud until you can get it out. If need be I can post pics after work, until then, good luck!!

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Calvin, if you haven't found out how to pull the blower motor yet...it's under passenger side dash, probably with a plastic and foam sound deadener that's kind of a PITA to get off (you will have to take your glove box off), then remove about 8 small bolt/screws around perimeter as well as power and ground wires, then carefully pull it out and jimmy it around all the other under dash crud until you can get it out. If need be I can post pics after work, until then, good luck!!

Thanks dude I may attempt this sometime this weekend

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok checked blower..looked new and clean..took center and lower dash off and everything looked ok.. Guess its the freon low...hopefully my buddy remembers to bring me some gauges this weekend

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check the coil housing? After you pull the blower, look inside it's housing and into the square hole on the left. Here's a link...

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/282054

Use a flashlight and you'll see the evaporator coil. I'd be really surprised if it wasn't filled with dust, leaves and crud. Pull as much out as you can by hand, using a vacuum cleaner wand and water hose for the rest. If it isn't clogged, the water will drain out through the drain line in the firewall.

A lot of people use a coil cleaner and a toothbrush to get the rest out. Make sure the coil cleaner is the self-rinsing kind. I've used this...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Air-Conditioner-Coil-Foaming-Cleaner-AC-920/100599017