AC Compressor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nivensid

Reaction score
I was replacing the ICM the other day and rested my elbow against the top of the AC compressor and broke this fitting . The pig tail is OK but the end of the fitting broke. Can I replace this fitting or is it part of the compressor so I would have to buy another. What is the name of the fitting? It is a 1990 GMC Sierra 5.7 vortec.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

nivensid

Reaction score
I was replacing the ICM the other day and rested my elbow against the top of the AC compressor and broke this fitting . The pig tail is OK but the end of the fitting broke. Can I replace this fitting or is it part of the compressor so I would have to buy another. What is the name of the fitting? It is a 1990 GMC Sierra 5.7 vortec.
Found it....

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
A competent shop should be able to replace that quickly. Chances are good you are low on freon anyway.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would look at it this way...if the compressor was not kicking on and cooling before you broke the switch.there is no gas in there any way.loosen a line to make sure.put in the open hole a oz of ac oil install the new switch..and replace the gas.with the new ac gas..when i redid mine..i installed the new gas..you can buy off the shelf.but i bought one of those bottles.that has the gauge.on top.so you cant go wrong.but i bought extra cans off of ebay.it is cheaper then then stores.but with that can top gauge you cant go wrong.and over charge..mind is on the second summer..it is all on the money and cooling fine..

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
i bought one of those bottles.that has the gauge.on top.so you cant go wrong.but i bought extra cans off of ebay.it is cheaper then then stores.but with that can top gauge you cant go wrong.and over charge
It's actually very easy to go wrong, especially using those do-it-yourself cans.

I also didn't see anything in there about you pulling a vacuum on the system before recharging it.

There's getting lucky, and doing it right...

Richard