AC Charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it can, with the proper tools. You may have to remove the upper fan shroud to get to it though.
Is there any chance the noise is just because the freon is still so low? Should I try to fill it all the way first?

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't just fill it, you have to vacuum the system. Even a system that was working must be vacuumed if it's broken open for any reason. The issue is that atmospheric air gets in, and even a tiny amount will get hot enough to cause the system to overpressure and fail when it gets hot.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can't just fill it, you have to vacuum the system. Even a system that was working must be vacuumed if it's broken open for any reason. The issue is that atmospheric air gets in, and even a tiny amount will get hot enough to cause the system to overpressure and fail when it gets hot.
Gotcha, thanks. Ill put a new AC Compressor in and then bring it to have an AC evacuation and charge.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, on to the bureaucratic BS; Your new compressor warranty will require a couple things- that you flush the condenser, or if you have a parallel-flow condenser that you replace it. I always replace the accumulator and flush the evaporator, but since recently twisting off the evap fitting and replacing both I discovered that GM says specifically *not* to replace the accumulator unless it's damaged (probably to keep from ruining the evap fittigs) I'd start by removing the compressor pressure sender fitting and checking there and the hose manifold for metal debris. If there's obvious trash there, just replace everything you can including the accumulator *if it comes loose easily* and backflush the evaporator. You can flush the hoses, but they're pretty inexpensive. The condenser and orifice tube are not optional if you have a parallel flow condenser.

HHoldred88

Reaction score
I may be late, but replace your seals and orifice tube, put a vacuum on it to check for leaks. My R4 compressor was loud and clattery until I got a full charge on it. I flushed, new accumulator new compressor, new pressure switches, and still ended up with a leaky high pressure valve. Had to weld a valve I cut from a later model because 88 high pressure line is unavailable