ABS kicks in at low speeds...Driving me insane.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the old man had a mechanic break a wheel stud up front and it later backed out and sheared the sensor wire on its way out. I think I drove it 7 years before I decided to change the wheel bearings, new ones having come with sensors. after that the system came back to life but the first time it snowed I blew a red light (luckily i was the only one around) because the system activated and took away my brakes. I pulled the fuse as soon as it stopped and took the bulb out of the dash. as was mentioned above, just drive accordingly.

that being said its got the 13'' drums so when they get a little dusty and a bit wet the get a bit grabby. would be nice to have the single channel system once in a while

84cj

Reaction score
Most common here in Maine is rust build up under the sensor. The rust lifts the sensor up away from the tone ring so the sensor cannot read correctly. Causing the ABS to engage just before a complete stop. With that said, a bad sensor is also a possibility. No need to remove the hub, pull the caliper, rotor and backing plate. Remove the sensor and clean it's mounting surface being careful not to get too much dirt in the hub.... I usually put a little grease under the sensor when I reinstall.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No need to remove the hub, pull the caliper, rotor and backing plate.

Unfortunately, the rotor is pressed onto the hub on the K3500's. You do have to disassemble everything to do this task. I have the fuse pulled for now, and perhaps later this year I'll get around to tearing into it further, but I have engine issues that must be addressed before we go any further with chassis problems.